More than a few

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

IRISH

Reaction score
Oldtimer,
they are caster oil bottles, common finds in tips all over Australia but nice to find due to the colour. I think they where a bit sadistic back in "the day" forcing a spoonfull of that stuff down kids gobs [:'(] , the worst experiance I've had with it was when a full one I dug had the cork pop out and spill all over me, the smell lingers for ages [:D] .

oldshoe4u

Reaction score
What the heck were codd bottles? Are they only Aussie in origin or are they a stateside bottle too? What was in them and why are they shaped so oddly?

Thanks in advance for edumicatin' the newbie[;)]

BOB

madman

Reaction score
all i can say is that is a major jackpot, if i found all that stuff id lose it for sure , very nice mike

Dirranbandi

Reaction score
G'day oldshoe4u

Codds were patented soft drink bottles that used marbles as stoppers - they were first patented in England by Hiram Codd in 1872.

The grooves were used to retain the marble stopper and keep it out of the way when it was opened - the different shapes varied according to the patents/new designs that developed from the original Codd's Patent.

Codds were used fairly widely across the world, particularly UK and the British Empire, e.g. Australia, New Zealand,South Africa, India

More details on codds and other marble bottles can be found at:

http://www.oldfizz.com/

http://www.mpotten.freeserve.co.uk/

http://www.codds-n-odds.co.uk/index.html

Cheers,

Dirranbandi

IRISH

Reaction score
Bob, Codd's bottles are glass marble stoppered aerated water bottles (soda or lemonade mostly), the original patent was by H. Codd in England in the 1870's. They work on the gas pushing the marble onto a rubber ring and to open them one pressed the marble in.
Some do come from America but most are from England, South Africa and Australia, there are some good ones from mainland Europe and New Zealand too. They where still in widespread usage up till the 1920's (even the 50's in a few towns in Oz).

They are mostly aqua or clear (some go purple) but come in blue, amber, green and black, also you can get lips and/or marbles in all the above colours.

I have a bit of an obsession with them [:D] .

You got in just before me Dirranbandi [:D] .

Tandy

Reaction score
Hi Nic,
A most impressive line up of bottles, you certainly did hit the jackpot. Some of the bottles I can identify for you, beginning on the extreme left.

Slightly out of the picture, small jar may have contained stove black. Next to it, behind the three white GB's, there is a large stout. It may have the potter's name "Kennedy" on it, or some other potter. Quite common.

The brown glazed wide mouth next to the stout is almost certainly a stove black; the large stoneware in front of the Case Gin is a bulk ink; (Japonaisse?) and the small one behind two castor oils is also an ink.

I am fairly sure that the square topped, registered ink contained red ink. Next to it, and behind it is a Seltzer bottle (Hertzogthau Nassau in a circle or two?).

Did you come across any South Aussie marble bottles? (Codd's)

Once again, a fantastic haul.

All the best, Tandy.

nic.au

Reaction score
Hi Tandy
Thanks for all that info. No S.A. Codd's as yet, still got way's to go. Got N.S.W. Vic, W.A, English and and a scottish bullet. that I know of.
Nic

oldshoe4u

Reaction score
Great finds and keep the pics coming Nick!
Thanks for the lesson on Codd's guys! I'm going to have to watch for one at the upcoming shows to check out how they worked, pretty neat idea the Codd's came up with, and even cooler bottles.
BOB

nic.au

Reaction score
Few more from the same area, but I think we've had the best of it.[:(] For now [:)]

Ki18520.jpg

Attachments

• Ki18520.jpg
    Ki18520.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 83

nic.au

Reaction score
Just trying to sort out some of these bottles. I find 5 different Codds and 1 Bullet all Crowder & Letchford. I wonder how many year these spanded.

Sq46016.jpg

Attachments

• Sq46016.jpg
    Sq46016.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 74

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mohib