My Big find

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

madpaddla

Reaction score
1930scans,

Nice finds. Yeah the idea of flooding the market isn't a good one. Likewise selling a few does get under folks skin when you have a ton of em. A one time sale is a good idea also. Keep a few for yourself. Pass a few out to good folks that will appreciate the can (not for the value but for the can) ..give em to (old timers, museums, local historical societies, etc.) GREAT FINDS. End result with any nice stuff I find.....keep it around the house so you get to enjoy them. But realize if the house burn down....there are only 10 or so bottles I would try to keep. So after awhile I'll end up selling all the others. Madpaddla

1930scans

Reaction score
It takes a huge find to really have an effect on the market value of the can. Case in point....Back in the 1970's, a can called Cream Top that was put out in the late 1930's would bring around $1,000 as there were only a few known. In the late 1970's there was a find of close to 1,000 of these cans in a dump that flooded the market. You would think that the price would have been driven down to $10 or so a can but these still bring several hundred dollars on eBay. Our measley find of 105 cans will be quickly absorped into the hobby with little impact on the value of the can.

WMassPete

Reaction score
RE: My Big find (yikes: long)

Ive been emailing people who seem to be finding 30s-50s dumps on this board - not too many responses (though the first time I heard about digging for cans....I thought the guy who told me was nuts)....though..being both a bottle digger and a can digger (as well as metal detecting and whatever else I can find) - I can pretty much safely say...if someone gave me like..I dont know....a day to dig up something that could easily be sold for 50 or 100 bucks - its way easier to dig cans worth that than bottles (and Im not a novice at digging bottles....I started when we hit bottles constructing the back deck on our house when I was 8 - and that was 20 years ago) - not to mention (and Im sure Brad and whomever else can vouch) most of these can collectors hold on to interesting bottles they find and would gladly trade nice shiny bottles for rusty cans ......now 95 percent of the cans you will find are going to be junk..either too common or too rusty - dont expect can-guys to find pontils too often - but I have gotten many nice blob tops from one can-guy (forgive the term "can-guy"..hehe) - and lots and lots of painted sodas, milk bottles, druggist bottles, etc - anyways - check out the web page for rusty cans (http://therustybunch.com/) - and if there is one thing I cant stress enough...I regret every day all the 1930s farm dumps (undisturbed..nice pine needles..perfect for cans) I ransacked as a teenager and stomped/exposed to the elements/etc all the cans in the process (though I did go back later to get the cans and even found one dump had a secret 1860s layer way under the sand)......ok...time to get off the soap box.....the emails Ive gotten (a few exceptions) seem to imply that this is a joke or whatnot..but I assure you..if you are digging 30s-50s dumps for common dollar bottles - you would do well to hold on to the cans - drop me a line and we can chat further about this
Pete

1930scans

Reaction score

Here is another picture of the other cans we found...55 of which were Schlitz from the late 1940's. The can in the upper right hand corner of the stack is an A-1 from Phoenix, AZ. A can in similar condition sold on eBay 2 weeks ago for $1413.00

BC3BFD528924465AA2FFB79B85AA3790.jpg

Attachments

• BC3BFD528924465AA2FFB79B85AA3790.jpg
    BC3BFD528924465AA2FFB79B85AA3790.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 78

madman

Reaction score

hey 30s cans, thanks for posting the other pix how can i get one of those schlitz cans mike

nhdirtdog

Reaction score

Fantastic find there. I'd say that is once in a lifetime find. Congrats on that one!

1930scans

Reaction score

Hi Mike:

I have a couple varieties of the Schlitz. the toughest is the 1946 IRTP can that says "Kiss of the Hops" on one of the side panels. We found 12 of those and they go for $30 each (although I sold a couple on eBay for $45) We also have some 1949 IRTP cans that go for $20. They are all in near perfect condition. Let me know if you are interested in one. Or if you have some old cans I'm always interested in a trade.

Brad

WMassPete

Reaction score
hey Brad..do you have any "before and after" can-soaking pictures handy to post on the board....I remember the first time I saw how well they clean up it was like a light bulb going off in my head
~Pete

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyG1