My finds today...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

zachnicole

Reaction score
Hi Folks, I am a newby bottle collector/privy digger and looking for tips etc. I own an 18th century stone home in frederick county maryland and started digging this weekend. Lots of civil war activity here, Gen Mosby held my town ransom for $1500 and the church on main was converted to a hospital and my house was used for recouperating soldiers after Antietam and South Mountian battles.
After onlty digging less that 3 feet I think im finding civil war medical bottles but not sure.
c.p. rogers and Bros, Druggist with pontil and flared lip
genuine essence with pontil
Several crude unmarked bottles, small with flared lip in tact. Look like those in British museum from 1700-1800
12 sided bottles, small aqua blue
In my house I found several baltimore bottles, L Senft, N. Howard Street with Cinnamon paper label. original cork containing black powder
Miller bottle and other stuff like a newspaper article offering a bounty for aditional 300k union troops.

I have no idea of the collector value and i think I am only scratching the surface as I have at least 4 other privy sites to dig.

Where can I get help determining the value, and digging tips. i am digging a 6x6 square stone lined privy and getting lots of ground water at 3 feet. How do I deal with the water.

Thanks in advance for your tips and suggestions. if nothing else I'm having lots of fun treasure hunting!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Joe,

Welcome to the A-BN.

Perhaps you should start a new thread on your finds. We really like to see photos of dug glass, and in-situ diggings. There are several most knowledgeable Marylanders who post here.

Where can I get help determining the value, and digging tips. i am digging a 6x6 square stone lined privy and getting lots of ground water at 3 feet. How do I deal with the water.

Put up some photos, and good descriptions of your finds. Bailing with ye olde bucket sounds like one solution...

trash_pit.jpg

zachnicole

Reaction score
Thanks Surface one. I appreciate the picture...I think. i will upload some pics of the finds from in the house and in the pit. Looking forward to learning and sharing more. I can't wait to get back to digging but Unfortunately work is getting in the way. I hate when that happens

Joe

kleinkaliber

Reaction score
Very nice finds, Randy. I'd be doing the happy dance if I found that stuff in the woods!

dogtx

Reaction score
Hey i live in that town.
Nice sign's .

dogtx

Reaction score
I know the place where they used to make those signs.
It is abandon nowadays.

THE BADGER

Reaction score
VERY NICE RANDY,KEEP IT UP.YOU COULD HAVE DUG IN A DUMP ALL DAY AND NEVER FOUND STUFF THAT NICE.COOL SIGNS BRO. BADGER

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorginaAc