My first bottle I ever dug

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

melikapoisons

Reaction score
This was my first bottle I ever dug up about 14 years ago and let me tell you I was hook .this is a sample bottle that says Dr.HS THATCHER'S CHOLERA MIXTURE CHATTANOOGA, TENN any help on pricing this bottle would be greatly appreciated I have never seen another one at any shows and only seen one on the web and it was a pore sample the one I have is in remarkable shape for a bottle that is over a hundred years old no stains ,nicks ,scratches.thanks for any help.

9B209958E34C4A318472A3DBF3FDF669.jpg

Attachments

• 9B209958E34C4A318472A3DBF3FDF669.jpg
    9B209958E34C4A318472A3DBF3FDF669.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 71

glass man

Reaction score
COOL! SEEN LOTS OF THATCHERS,SOME VERY COMMON,BUT HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS ONE BEFORE! NO IDEA OF VALUE...BUT A GREAT BOTTLE! JAMIE

melikapoisons

Reaction score
I would never sell my first bottle just curious because I can't find any info I plan on being buried with it .

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Carlton,

That's a bottle with lots'a character and mould venting texture, it appears. Could'ya take some more photos of that guy in natural light, mebbe? Thacher was a prolific producer of 'medicines.'

thacher.jpg
"Your bottle is a product of the Thacher (no second "t") Medicine Co. of Chattanooga. The Liver and Blood syrup was their best seller. Among the other products produced by this company are, Thacher's Cholera Mixture, Thacher's Instant Relief, Thacher's Improved Liver pills, thacher's Uterina, Thacher's White Pine Cough Syrup and Thacher's Worm Syrup. The business began in the 1890s as far as I can tell and continued well into the 20th century. The Blood and Liver syrup comes in a sample size (shown at left) as well as larger bottles. I have seen the samples in amber, green and clear. Digger" Thanks to John Odell.

He had some trouble with the Feds in the wake of the Pure Food & Drug Act. There, an interesting report on him being apparently unable to Regulate the proportions of alcohol and morphine in his Cholera Mixture and the amount of alcohol and opium in the ever popular, "Dr. Thacher's Amber Injection" labelled, "Cures Gonorrhea in 3 days. Syringe with bottle ready to use." The U.S. Bureau of Chemistry, in 1913, takes him to task over here. I had never heard of "Gleet" before I started learning about antique bottles.

There's a sales record of this one
1_eae061e6ee65f178b630cf4e211d4bfe.jpg
"is a wonderful cure/medicine for cholera. It is not so common as the other thacher bottles. It is in a honey amber(see pics) , 4 sided and 3 and 1/4 inches tall.It has an applied top and has embossing of; Dr. H.S. Thacher's cholera mixture Chattanooga,Tenn.. It has some light surface scratches,and a small burst bubble on the corner of one base.The glass is uneven, and a really nice old bottle.T is a diamond embossed on the base" From.

The A.M.A. were not fans of the Cholera Mixture or Amber Injection either, and went after him in the 1st edition of Nostrums and Quackery from 1921.

There's a large advertisement for his "Liver and Blood Syrup" under the heading "Do you Need a Medicine?" from this issue of The Breckenridge News of September 28, 1904.

Matt/GuntherHess has
ThatcherChol.jpg
ThatchersBlood.jpg
DrThachersWorm.jpg
in his Dr. Thacher collection in the great Medicine Nexus.

signor_lawanda.gif

melikapoisons

Reaction score
Here is a better picture of the Thatcher bottle I took this pic outside ,and also the diamond on the bottom of my bottle has a C in it.

FC320F6428BA4A369B684C177C4D9DE3.jpg

Attachments

• FC320F6428BA4A369B684C177C4D9DE3.jpg
    FC320F6428BA4A369B684C177C4D9DE3.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 68

Staff online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH