My Pet Peeves with the Bottle Hobby

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

NyDigger1

Reaction score
Recently there have been quite a few, "discussions" on topics relating to NYC bottles on the forums, and even though Im only 18, ive been collecting for 4 years and currently run the largest NYC bottle database. I dont understand why some people who dont even collect NYC bottles wont take a word of my advice, even when they ask for it, and start arguing over price, condition, etc, etc, completely ignoring me, and thinking that i dont know squat. The fact that I am younger does not mean that I know "less" than any other collector, especially when it comes to NYC bottles and their details.

Also, I hate that when I ask people from clubs in NYC to go digging with them in the city or to join the club they say that im too young, and inexperienced, while at the same time they say that they need new, young blood to keep the hobby going.

Also, What defines a bottle as mint?!

Ive always been told that the structure of the bottle (no dings, chips, cracks, flakes, flea bites, etc, etc, etc) always determined whether it was mint or not. Others have told me that staining, iridescence, and "the area from which it was dug", outhouse, dump, or found in an attic, also adds to the question of it being mint or not. My response, "If you dont like stains or iridescence, put it in CLR ad it will come right off, trust me ive done it before."

Ive had bottes returned to me on Ebay because the Bottle was "Dirty". Well of course it is! Most are dug! Even the ones you buy at flea markets or antique shops. I dont understand why people wont fully read the description of a listing as it says it on the third or fourth line, "This is a Dug Bottle"

Thoughts? Im sorry I had to put this rant up but ive had enough of being ignored and belittled.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I have all those same pet peeves too.. I want everyone to think I am the king of bottles and bring me their offerings, lay them before me, and pay homage, and they better consider my sick bottles to be 'river mint' .. and this has nothing to do with age, I'm 43 and I expect the same adulation.. ..genuflect and sell cheap to your master!!!

NyDigger1

Reaction score
LOL [:D]

but seriously, im tired of people treating me like I dont know anything about bottles, especially coming from someone who lives on the other side of the U.S. who only "happens" to have two or three nyc bottles.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
It's not about what you know about bottles, it's about what you don't know about people.. you'll figure it out eventually.. [;)]

tigue710

Reaction score
mint means found inside without any type of staining, damage... anything. Like the day it was made. Its a terrible word to use when describing a dug bottle.

As for the rest I'll say it, your heads a little to big. I've collected and been very active in the hobby for 25 years and I dont know squat. Have you looked at or seen any of the other databases on bottles before you tote your own as the largest? Some of them have been being added to for 30 years, and are very large. As for digging with people most people dont want to share where they dig and already have a large crew they dig with. Who wants to take someone digging and show them the ropes only to create more competition for themselves? Gotta have patience and pay your dues...

NyDigger1

Reaction score
thats a little mean on your part, maybe you should have read it more clearly, "Largest NYC bottle database"

Im talking about Nyc bottles only... I know there are larger databases but mine is the largest for Nyc bottles ONLY.

I study every bottle I have, look up every bit of history I can find, and post it on there, hell I can tell you the history of almost any Nyc bottle (provided ive seen it before) on the spot. And my deal is that people tell me that I dont know anything about, NYC. There are still alot of things i dont know, and thats true, but i sure as hell know more about nyc bottles than the next guy.

And im sorry if you find taking others with you dump digging as competition. If other people consider it as competition they shouldnt post on their website: "contact us for digging / club joining info"

I was turned down by clubs that advertise on the internet to join them, simply because im too young and "inexperience" in their minds. Hell if I never go Ill never gain that experience.

You only have that digging view since you have been collecting for the past 25 years. I live in NYC, virtually every dump has been picked out, or covered over, and they wont let just anyone into a construction site for bottles, even though my dad worked in construction for 15 years, he worked on sites in the 90s that (if I was old enough and collected bottles back then) would have amounted to a huge collection.

Hell even 10 years ago you could still find decent stuff in Staten Island, northen Bronx, southern Bronx, and downtown Brooklyn, not any more unless its a privy.

You have had the experiences that I wish every day I could live, hell I have one dump thats 200 miles away that I can only go to 3-4 times a year. Put yourself in my shoes for a few minutes before you say that my heads a little big.

TJSJHART

Reaction score
EXCUSE ME...............YOU ALL KNOW I JUST LOVE THIS PLACE....EVERYONE ..AND I MEAN EVERYONE GETS IN THEIR LITTLE MOODS EVERY NOW AND THEN AND HAS THEIR BAD DAYS...WEEKS AND WEEKENDS...IT TAKES ONE NEWBIE OR OR A ONE TIME POSTER THAT WANTS THE VALUE OF A SINGLE FIND TO SET THEM UP FOR LIFE.. IT'S EITHER AN ATTIC FIND OR A " MY DADDY HAD THIS BOTTLE SINCE I WAS KNEE HIGH TO A COW'S UTTER " OOHH YEAH AND I AM THE THE KING OF BOTTLES AND YOU ALL ARE BEHIND ON THE MONTHY OFFERING . SO IT IS WRITTEN SO SHALL IT BE....[8|][8|][:D][:D]

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
currently run the largest NYC bottle database

Do you have a web site or blog about NYC bottles?
Post something about uncommon NYC patent medicines.
I would be interested in reading it.
The number of patent medicines coming out of that city even in the 1840s/1850s was huge.
I expect there are lots that havent even been documented yet.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583