My Pet Peeves with the Bottle Hobby

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bostaurus

Reaction score
It is not just youngsters...this is a very male dominated hobby. There are some in the hobby that think, as a woman, you don't know what you are talking about. You have to stand your ground, not get an attitude, and just smile. Those kind of folks will usually come around once you prove yourself....and let's face it..there is a lot of information and lots of glass out there and no one knows it all.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
this is a very male dominated hobby

That's not true... be quiet and put your burka back on woman before we stone you for your insolance[:D]

so is it the dirty bottles in the house thing that turns off women?
I know several women bottle collectors but the hard core collectors seem to be mostly men.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I don't think "mint" should EVER be used.
You'd never find a true numismatic use it for a coin. Even an un-circulated coin isn't mint. The handler or just dropping in with all the other coins as they are made will leave a mark.
The same goes for anything in the collectible field and could also be said of everything else.
Maybe the word itself shouldn't exist except for the plant. I'll allow that. [:D][:D]

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Agreed ..anyway, bottles were not minted, they were blown.. so "blown" condition would make more sense.. [;)]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Agreed ..anyway, bottles were not minted, they were blown.. so "blown" condition would make more sense..
Would you say the same of a hand struck coin?? It's a rather similar kind of thing I think.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I don't know garbledygook about coins.. it's fun to put them on the train tracks though..

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
so how do you classify a bottle with a pontil mark chip?

it is "as made" but it is also damaged

as to coins, the US mint had a goal of perfection.
Thus any 'errors' were carefully avoided.
Glass houses didnt quite hold the same ideals.
If it could hold water it probably went out the door...

Wheelah23

Reaction score
To a remarkable extent, I haven't experienced any age prejudice... Additionally, I think I've been blessed with very kind digging friends... Everyone at the bottle club I'm a member of has been very respectful of me, and never preachy in the knowledge they share with me. I think the best thing you can do is just to exhude an aura of confidence, and never let someone think they're better than you. Never show deference, but you do have to be willing to learn. And you have to accept that in some cases, elders WILL be more knowledgeable than you. In the few years you and I have been collecting, there's NO WAY we could've accumulated more knowledge than a 30 year veteran in our respective fields of collecting interest. It's good to show your knowledge when you can, but don't act like you know everything.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Maybe the word itself shouldn't exist except for the plant. I'll allow that. [:D][:D]
Picking at those knits aside, I still go along with my above statement. Nothing of any age can remain in perfect condition which the term sort of implies.
Maybe it's just something left to interpretation but I still think the word should be left out as part of a description. If a box happens to be found at an old, undiscovered glass factory and still packed in straw, maybe?

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

I don't think "mint" should EVER be used.
You'd never find a true numismatic use it for a coin. Even an un-circulated coin isn't mint. The handler or just dropping in with all the other coins as they are made will leave a mark.
The same goes for anything in the collectible field and could also be said of everything else.

Here is a dark Mint Mint dug Seitz & Bro for ya [:D] and I must say it is mint,I drank out of it a few times so it has to be mint. Did you say mint? [;)]

41DF5B666A5245EB92301106D40CB017.jpg

Attachments

• 41DF5B666A5245EB92301106D40CB017.jpg
    41DF5B666A5245EB92301106D40CB017.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 70

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85