narrow privy

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

farmerdan

Reaction score
While investigating a potential dig site, I discovered a round, brick lined pit, but I am reluctant to dig it out because the top opening is only about 14" in diameter. By 2 feet down, it widens out to about 20" or so. I think it might have been a well. This pit was exposed, the brick is very uniform, and is in very good condition, so i don't think it's very old. It is located about 20 feet behind what appears to be a 20th century concrete garage foundation or side porch. The original structure on this site was built circa 1790 with additions made in the 1880s and later. It stood on the site until 1971 when the building was moved and the original foundation was razed, judging by the brick piles. about 8 feet away there is an ash dump which seems to contain strictly coal ashes. My question is - is this pit worth digging? and if so, any tips on digging a narrow pit like this? I plan to investigate this site further and look for an older privy that might be more worthwhile, but as this was a plantation house...you know - needle in a haystack. Any info about a pit like this would be much appreciated.

Jim

Reaction score
Dan, I agree, it sounds like a newer well. It is could be very deep, dangerous and not worth the risk or effort. There is some good stuff to be found there somewhere. The privy pits could be tough if not impossible to locate, but it's worth a shot. There should also be an old dump nearby. ~Jim

ancientdigger69

Reaction score
if it were me, id remove the 1st 2 feet of narrow opening and start probing. then give yorself another 2 to 3 feet down and probe some more. if you dont hit any glass or trash, its a 50/50 shot youd have to be willing to take to keep going. who knows, you might get lucky and you wont know till you try.

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
Sounds like a cistern and depending on when it was filled there could be some great bottles in it. You need to start by opening up the hole at the top. This can be done with a sledge hammer or pick ax. Keep us informed as to what you find.

rockbot

Reaction score
I'd have to agree with the guys. It won't hurt to dig it a little and see if shards are present.

Rocky

farmerdan

Reaction score
thank you all for your feedback. I'm glad i found this website. As a kid I was big into bottles, and it seemed like digging spots were everywhere! my friends and I went on some great digs. I've been bitten by the bottle bug again after 20 years or so, and sites seem much harder to find around here. I will spend a few more days at this one for sure. I will let you all know how things go.

JGUIS

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Antiquenut

and bring a garden hose with me to breathe through,just in case.
I hope you don't ever have to realize that wont help.

I agree, dig it. If you don't, you'll always wonder.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1