Need help from experts on Iron Pontil

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Lobey is correct that repairs are often apparent under UV light.
The repair material is not as hard as glass. It is likely an acrylic resin. If you take an exacto knife and try to lightly scratch it (do it inside where it isnt visible) a resin should scratch pretty easy. Glass is much harder.

baltbottles

Reaction score
My opinion is it has been repaired. The lip looks slightly different in color to the bottle and really isn't the right shape lip for most iron pontiled sodas. I would bet that if you soak it in a vat of acetone for a few days the top will fall off.

Chris

GACDIG

Reaction score
Thanks my bottle friends. I was told that this bottle in good condition is worth severl hundred dollars. I payed $50. I am trying to decide if I should take it back or just keep it and enjoy it for its historical value. Even repaired [:(] it is still a nice display bottle [:)] due to its age, type and color.
GAC

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I have paid that much for rare damaged bottles for my collection that I dont intend to resell. I use them for display and research. If the bottle was properly marked or described by the shop as repaired then it may be an ok deal for you.

If the bottle was sold as undamaged (an does have a replaced top) I would certainly take it back just on pricipal.

GACDIG

Reaction score
Thanks GuntherHess, That's the thing, nowhere was it marked of a repair. This seller had other Charleston SC bottle that were nice also. He should had marked this one. Or I should have know for the price it was to good to be true.[:'(] On what you said I will take it back.

glass man

Reaction score
If yo want to invest the money[got no idea of cost] the bottle can be repaired again. Some can do such a great job the repair can not even be dectected. A substance can be used that will not turn off color as time passes. Can't remember the substance,but some one surely knows here and can probabably can do the repair.Such a great bottle it would be worth it! I am still kicking myself for not buying a "SWIFTS SYPHILLITIC SPECIFIC" COBALT AND FROM ATLANTA. I COULD HAVE BOUGHT IT FOR $100. MINT SELLS FOR $900 + AND ARE VERY HARD TO FIND! THE BOTTLE WAS MINT ,EXCEPT A VERY ,VERY POOR NECK REPAIR. MAN ,I WISH I HAD BOUGHT IT AND HAD IT REPAIRED!OH WELL! THE MED. WAS LATER TO JUST SSS AS I GUESS THE WORD SYPHILLITIC WAS INAPPROPIATE. A LARGE AND BEAUTIFUL BOTTLE!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I will take it back

Just make 100% sure you know it is repaired ..and be able to demonstrate that at the store (i.e. take a UV light if need be). A receipt is always important too (sorry if I'm stating the obvious)

glass man

Reaction score
If You love the bottle and want to keep it I would ask for some money back.

cc6pack

Reaction score
Jamie

Just found my pic of this one thought you might like to take a gander

9AAEA43E2B444BA49648F0351DF178C8.jpg

Attachments

• 9AAEA43E2B444BA49648F0351DF178C8.jpg
    9AAEA43E2B444BA49648F0351DF178C8.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 60

glass man

Reaction score
OH DENNIS THAT IS THE BOTTLE I WISH I HAD BOUGHT! HAD SEVERAL CHANCES AT IT! DID YOU GET IT FROM BILL [HAM ,I THINK IT WAS } MAN IT IS COOL! THANKS FOR SHOWING IT!!!! SOME HAD ATLANTA GA. ON IT!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen