Need help identifying a beautiful bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

prevnar

Reaction score
I live in Eastern Washington State and found this bottle at an old homestead. It was laying on top of the ground and in great condition. I have been unable to find the embossed mark on line. No makers mark on the bottom just the # 5. Possibly a small bottling company? around 1920's liquor bottle?
bottle2.jpg
bottle.jpg
bottle5.jpg
bottle.jpg
bottle2.jpg
bottle4.jpg
bottle5.jpg
bottle3.jpg

prevnar

Reaction score
It is a great shade of amethyst! Far and few between in this area! It is front an center on the display shelf.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I'm pretty confident that it isn't a liquor bottle, that style of top was almost always used for bottles with poisonous contents. I'm guessing some sort of disinfectant or cleaner. Not sure what SO was though, I don't recognize the logo and it's not exactly something that's easy to Google.

prevnar

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the info! Spent hours Googling liquor bottles. I always thought chemicals and drugs came in brown bottles.Time to research your lead. Probably come in handy for future finds! Will post if I solve the mystery.

UnderMiner

Reaction score
I would guess it's a Singer Sewing Machine oil bottle, though I've never seen the logo depicted exactly like that. They used a large capital S in a cartouche also, so maybe it's a variant. On the other hand this bottle may actually be an S superimposed over an O, S.O. ? I don't know.

Csa

Reaction score
Agree not a liquor bottle at all, finish is all wrong. Almost like an early pharmacy bottle, Squibb, Shering? Or like others suggest a cleaning product.

prevnar

Reaction score
Thank you for the valuable information! New leads. Can't help but think that the SO must have been produced by a well known company of some sort to only have 2 letters embossed on their product. Maybe it stands for Snake Oil haha. Thanks everyone!!!!!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Thank you for the valuable information! New leads. Can't help but think that the SO must have been produced by a well known company of some sort to only have 2 letters embossed on their product. Maybe it stands for Snake Oil haha. Thanks everyone!!!!!
Not necessarily a well known company since it would have had a label as well. The embossing would have most likely been on the back of the bottle and given it a more legitimate look than a generic bottle, which would have been cheaper to use. They most likely wouldn't have been expecting anyone to need to recognize the bottle without a label though.

sandchip

Reaction score
Have no Idea on the company or contents, but I would date it between 1903 and 1917 (invention of the ABM and our entry into WWI when manganese was needed for the war effort).

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler