Need help with this bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

LEANBACON

Reaction score
Hello again. just wanted to say thanks for all the help and wanted to tell you a little about myself. I'm a 34 year old NYC police officer and in my spare time, me and the wife love to dive. We have friends that have been diving for many years and have managed to gather a nice collection of bottles and other artifacts. On a recent dive trip to the US/CANADIAN border i was able to get in a few bottle dives and have maneged to start a little collection of my own. i have to say that collecting bottles can be VERY ADDICTIVE!!!! when i stuck my hand into the mud at 40feet and pulled out a piece of broken glass, i was so excited i was willing to keep the little treasure, not knowing that i would collect at the end of the week, a total of 48 bottles; WOW!! not all are rare and worth something, but to me, they're invaluble, because i found them.

i was just wondering if anyone can help me identify a few of these bottles. Not to interested in the dollar value because this is my first little collection and to me these litle treasures are priceless.

Xv64133.jpg

Attachments

• Xv64133.jpg
    Xv64133.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 95

kumtow

Reaction score
Hi Leanbacon,
Mate, I have no idea what that bottle is, but the embossing is fantastic and I love it. Surely it must be a keeper?! I know nothing about American bottles but I wouldn't mind one of those on my shelf. Other collectors on this site will no doubt easily identify it for you as the embossing would have to be unique. If I may offer some unsolicited advice, it's always easier to identify bottles if you include a photo of the whole bottle.
Good luck on future finds, it is good fun isn't it.[:)]

diggerjeff

Reaction score
it looks like a soda style bottle but it would be nice to see the whole bottle to be sure. it would really help as a starting point since most bottle books group listings by content. as kumtow said it is a keeper for sure. pictorial graphics are not as common as embossed words. the top and bottom of a bottle tells alot when trying to identify age. it is important to show the whole bottle in the pics. great find!! i tried to get certified about 3 years ago, but i couldnt because i have had 3 collapsed lungs . upper left has collapsed 3 times in the last 15 years. this is the worst thing that could happen to a person on a dive, you might survive a shark bite , but a collapsed lung is certian death. i wanted to dive for bottles in barbados , but its just a broken dream now . oh well!

LEANBACON

Reaction score
Dear Diggerjeff and Kumtow
here's another picture of the entire bottle. i do appreciate the comments and look forward to "picking" your brains. Jeff very sad to hear about your lung. diving is a wonderful sport and i'm sure you'd like it very much, but i'm sure there are many other activities, and sports you could participate in that would not be life threatening if it were to happen again. One thing i've come to realize and witness first hand, is NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF WILL, AND THE HUMAN SOUL

BTW, can this bottle be cleaned up if tumbled?

Nl30437.jpg

Attachments

• Nl30437.jpg
    Nl30437.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 75

deepwoods

Reaction score
Lean - Welcome to the forum. Thanks for your words of wisdom to Digger - beautiful and true. Yes, that great bottle should clean up very nicely tumbled, and will get even more of a purplish tinge if left out in the sun for a few weeks. Nice find!

LEANBACON

Reaction score
Thank you J.D.
You have to understand. I had front row seats for 9/11. The lives of people who could hold on no longer literally fell at my feet. I've witnessed tragedy both near and far. was a young Marine Corporal in the first gulf war. Experiences like this give people new found perspective.DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF, Takes on a whole new meaning. In Digger's case, even though one door has closed for him (can't dive) i'm sure one has opened. I'm pretty sure he has a wonderful collection of bottles that would make most of us envious[;)]
This is a new found hobby , and i seem to enjoy it very much[:)]. i was going to post a thraed on how to get started in digging . i live in NYC and there's all sorts of old buildings and homes around. i just need to know what i'm looking for

deepwoods

Reaction score
Lean - So true,so true. Glad to hear you"came through"o.k - thank you for all your good service. Btw speaking of NYC, check out Antique Bottle and Glass Mag online -"Dig Stories"- there's some phenomenal digging thats been going on right in the city for some time now.

diggerjeff

Reaction score
your bottle is an early soda bottle. i cant tell you anything about value or rarity, but i did find a listing in the following link.
http://www.gono.com/statebottles/new%20york/new%20york%20bottles.htm

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn