Need help with value of ACL bottles I found

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BullGill

Reaction score
I have not seen the Broughton's Erie Club in large bottles or in green for that matter. Anybody with a bottle book can you find out what the large green ones are worth?I even liked the box the bottles came in, it is reinforced with metal! over engineered to the max.The Barrelhead Root Beer bottle is from the first year of production (1966) and has the Canada dry logo in the center, 1977 they changed it to a mug in the middle. My bottle has a 76 on the bottom.How rare is this and any value?The Diet LuLu bottle is rare as well it is manufactured here in Ashtabula by the Broughton Beverages Co. , only mention on google was on some guys list of bottles he wants.
I hope there is somebody who can help me with ACL bottles. How do I find info on bottles not found on google? I know bottle books but which ones? most of the books I found seem incomplete and useless. It would be hard to make a book with every bottle known in it, maybe there are books for certain regions? I am in Ashtabula Ohio if anybody has a good book in mind for this area.

tsalz14

Reaction score
I'm not great at pricing, but my favorite is definitely the Double Eagle. Nice bottle.

Johnnysoda

Reaction score
I really like that 7up box and the BarrelHead Rootbeer

carling

Reaction score
I'll take a guess at some values, although others may disagree. The Double Eagle from Cleveland is the nicer bottle, not too easy to find in the quart size, but I come across them once in awhile here in Cleveland. I saw one go for only about $20 on ebay awhile ago, which I thought was way too low, but I think it could do much better on ebay on a good day. There's other versions of their quarts too, none are common. The Broughtons are pretty common. If you check ebay's sold items, there's a few unsold/sold on there, and well under $20. I didn't see any quart sizes currently on there, but I've never seen them do much better regardless of the glass color or size. Still, you never know what might happen on ebay. The 10oz and 16oz sizes are oddball sizes, and may be harder to find than the quarts. Unless you have some rare desirable city on those Pepsi's, they don't hold much value. I see the Canton, Ohio name on the one, and it is common. So is the Sun Drop bottle. I picked up one of those LuLu bottles hoping it was a good one, but then checked ebay and they weren't selling for much, maybe around $10. There's none on there now sold or unsold to currently re-check. There is a similar Seven Up box on ebay now, been listed a couple times for $19.99 with no bids. Yours looks like it's from 1973. I hope someone else chimes in about that Barrelhead root beer bottle with the Canada Dry logo. I never saw a Canada Dry logo on a Barrelhead bottle, or maybe just never noticed it. I have no idea on that one. Hopefully its a really good one!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I've never heard of Barrelhead root beer before and was curious about it. I've seen a few references that suggest the earlier bottle with the Canada Dry label is considered hard to find. Those with the mug appear to be somewhat common. Speaking of the mug label, I found this ad from 1974 that shows a screw top bottle with a paper label that depicts the image of a mug. Maybe it was in 1977 that the first ACL / painted label was introduced. ??? Ad from ... The Daily Freeman ~ Kingston, New York ~ July 1, 1974 Notice the coupon expires on December 31, 1974

Attachments

• fb8a06585dd048eb8288b6496105fee0.jpg
    fb8a06585dd048eb8288b6496105fee0.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 38a53ac062974c14b1e607ae5a02bfe4.jpg
    38a53ac062974c14b1e607ae5a02bfe4.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 97

Eric

Reaction score
Condition is everything with ACL bottles.... I suggest looking at completed auctions on ebay...that will give you an idea of what people are paying for these bottles. Nice line up!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Speaking of completed auctions on eBay, I have a subscription to WorthPoint that claims to list 265+ million items, the majority of which were sold on eBay. There are about six Barrelhead bottles listed, all of which are acls with the mug label and average about $15.00. There is not a single Barrelhead bottle listed with the Canada Dry label. I spent a good hour looking for an example with the Canada Dry label and could not find one. Hence, I consider that particular bottle as RARE. By the way, I suspect this trademark document is where the 1977 date originated. The image of the mug was filed in 1976 and registered in 1977. But notice it states first use as early as 1971.

Attachments

• dd013ba9d3f04d67868df3ee2929c52f.jpg
    dd013ba9d3f04d67868df3ee2929c52f.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 109

BullGill

Reaction score
Carling what condition do you usually find the double eagle bottles in? Strange they have sold on ebay but no worthpoint links. I guess worthpoint is not very reliable. Again surprising that worthpoint does not have records of the LuLu bottle selling either. It has plenty of records of the 7oz Broughton's selling though. I noticed the 7-up box on ebay, it is in very rough shape though but still two people watching it. I think I will clean mine with fine sandpaper to take off the surface mold. I could't find even one example of a quart size Broughton's bottle. Surprising to me considering how common the 7oz bottles are. I think you are right about 1976 being the first year for ACL on the Barrelhead, all of the bottles I seen on ebay are marked with a "77" on the bottom and have the mug in the center. I will not try to price it till I find another example.
SODAPOPBOB said:
I've never heard of Barrelhead root beer before and was curious about it. I've seen a few references that suggest the earlier bottle with the Canada Dry label is considered hard to find.

Would you be willing to share what you read about them being hard to find? I have not even been able to find anything that mentions the canada dry logo.

BullGill

Reaction score
SODAPOPBOB said:
Speaking of completed auctions on eBay, I have a subscription to WorthPoint that claims to list 265+ million items, the majority of which were sold on eBay.

I use the same site and so far it seems anything rare they have no records of, I usually do not have a problem finding things on worthpoint. I have a 20"x20" etching that is as rare as rare from 1726 and there is one listed on worthpoint but when it comes to bottles it seems hit and miss whether or not they have the records. People tell methey have seen things sell on ebay that worthpoint has no record of.

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmajeau