Need opinions

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

digger don

Reaction score
I just received a message from a guy on Ebay telling me I'm wrong to list my smooth base bottle as from the pontil era. I told him pontil and smooth base over lapped for a while. So while they over lapped what would you call this era ? Am I wrong to list this way ?

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I dont think its wrong to use the term "pontil era" but not sure its that meaningful either. It would be better to say circa 1860s or something like that. If you arent sure then just describe the bottles charactoristics , hinge mold, applied lip, etc etc...
You are correct that smooth based bottles were being made at the same time as pontil scarred bottles.

digger don

Reaction score
Thanks Matt Plus I wanted to use the word pontil because it's a good search word. It's the first word I search when I go to ebay. And I mentioned in my discription it was probably an 1860's bottle. It's a Markley's Family Medicine from Lancaster Pa.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Don, I would like to help you with identifying pontil marks as they changed through the years. I think it is best to do it by email. I have to work on a blog covering some of this on my homepage. Time is part of the problem. Feel free to send me a message. RED Matthews <bottlemysteries@yahoo.com>

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I think that's fine as long as it's stated somewhere that it is a smooth base. I see a lot saying "just missed the pontil" or something similar.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vladlitski