New Dump 2 Play In!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
ORIGINAL: KBbottles

sunrunner... I disagree partially with your statement. While yes "sum dumps shud stay undug"... there are plenty out there even into the 60s that can yield rarities. ACLs, cans, deco sodas, milks, insulators, etc... are collectible and in my own humble opinion will probably increase in popularity over the next 30 yrs. Plus... when there are no current opportunities to dig older stuff in the immediate future, why not try a newer site to at least keep you busy enjoying the hobby? I've been digging in a couple sites that have layers of really new junk on top, but there are pockets of much older stuff underneath (like the strawberry puce drake's bitters I found last friday), so you never know. For a young collector such as myself, I have no problem holding onto some of the younger bottles for future possibilities. I have developed a nice little collection of milks in a couple months. Even though most are common, they are wicked cool to look at for now. Not to mention, even in dumps that aren't as old there is always the gamble that you may find a significant "late throw." For example, one of the huge sites I have been frequenting, I know of two examples of incredible finds there: 2 full cases of blobs that were tossed and two beautiful local crocks with blue glazed text on them. Not to mention, sometimes old jars that were kept in the family for 20-30+ years finally end up being tossed. So... needless to say, the possibilities really are endless and while yes, every find may not be a cream of the crop BIM, pontiled artifact or something significant and old, the chance of finding something great is STILL there. You just never know what someone may have thrown away and when they got rid of it. The more you dig, the greater your chances of scoring big!! Anyway... that's my two cents.

Yeah,....What he said![:D] Joe

green dragon

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Nickevlau

A long lost cousin of the Reddings?  Superior Bottling Company, St. Paul MN, made Owens, pretty sure, oval with a diamond through it.

E997E616FD44485F8ABD3DB88E4EF081.jpg

love that deco bottle - I'd go ape to dig one ( soon, I hope :p )

~ AL

swizzle

Reaction score
If you find another one of those I'll trade you a Redding once I dig one. I do come across them on occasion so I know I'll find more in the near future.

I just got back from my new potential dump. The guy dug a few bottles out of it in the late '80s and then wanted to hide the junk. He bulldozed the whole thing over. He says its the whole side hill, my best guesstimate is about 120 feet wide and maybe 80 feet across by the way he explained it. He also said that the garbage layer was about 3 feet thick. He wanted to show a bottle that he dug to his friend but couldn't find the bottle. The way he describes it it sounds like its pontiled. I just happen to have a few old bottle magazines with me and when I was flipping through it he pointed to a rectangular med. It was an 1880/90's med bottle. He said there's a lot of those down there. No I have to wait for 2 weeks for him to get a part for his excavator and he's gonna poke a hole through there to see what he buried. He seems real excited about it now and he plans on digging with me. If its the quality of glass I'm hoping for then he's only gonna take out a scoop before I stop him and then start to dig by hand. Its nice to have all the heavy equipment there to help scrap off the over burden. He also said that there's no screw tops. I can't wait to see what's under there. Swiz

green dragon

Reaction score
I do agree re: digging newer spots - as a young guy myself, it gets me pumped up to dig even 70s sodas I remember as a kid. wish I found more of em.

And you never know what is hiding amogst the refuse, dug the farm dump last night, my mom came along, funny there - 61 yr old gal out there digging for treasure, and she did find the only treasure, too - a enameled tin sign ( Mohawk fertilizer ) that should clean up nice.
funny this dump, we'd found 1952 embossed milk 1/2 pints right on the surface, now only finding shards and condiment jars - course I only dug about 15-20" trench so far, along the bank, I figure it goes much deepr, but was getting dark, and us getting dicouraged by shards .

brings up my question - at what point do you stop digging ?

I mean, I'm optimistic, and I'm new so even commons make me happy :), but if there's only signs the ppl living there had nothign but condiments, or whatever ....
see, you can tell the ppl, this one has little to no soda or beer,etc bottles... the one where my dad grew up has hundreds of beer cans n bottles. and should go deeper, but it;s been partially filled at some point making the going tough at times, we'll keep on as long as the briars don;t take over :)

~ AL

swizzle

Reaction score
When to stop is up to you. If you're sure its not dug out then you're not sure what's still in there. People didn't live on catsup and olives alone. People got sick and went to the doc for medicine. Preggo wives had a weird cravings for a different soda, husbands bought expensive bottles of booze on rare occasions. There is always going to be variety in a dump. You might also find the spring cleaning dump, that's where all kinds of stuff is in one big pile. Junior shot marbles to break bottles, you'll sometimes find some really nice marbles. House are sold all the time. New owners might take the entire contents of a house and toss the junk and sell the rest. One dump I dug had the tattered remains of a WWI uniform with all the buttons. I had to cut the buttons off because the uniform was no good. Then there's glass medicine spoons, glass dose cups. If your not happy with what your finding then save that dump for another day and research another one or walk some creeks until you find a shard trail to an old dump. Most importantly, keep looking and keep diggin'. Swiz

green dragon

Reaction score
Going to keep digging this one - wish I knew more history, like when it was started,etc - if I knew it went to the 20's or TOC, then I'd be more gung ho to dig it, if I wirry it only goes tot he 40s or somesuch, then debate if I'm wasting time I could be hunting another.

The other dump we found ( and only dug for a couple hours ) is the farm my dad grew up on, he lived there from 46 up til about 62 when they moved, and he believes the dump was there when they moved in.
farm dates to early 1800s, the second barn was built in 1858 when the original one burnt, so that places the property as old - he;s unsure of a second dump, we might have to hunt around for an earlier one on the property.

I KNOW I need to dig this one, cause just coming into the flat top cans at about 12-15" deep, lots on the surface,including the ACL milk I broke :(
NY growth might slow or stop digging, as you NY guys know, it;s already brambble covered in just a couple weeks.

will keep posting :)

TreasurDiggrNY

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: swizzle

If you find another one of those I'll trade you a Redding once I dig one. I do come across them on occasion so I know I'll find more in the near future.

I just got back from my new potential dump. The guy dug a few bottles out of it in the late '80s and then wanted to hide the junk. He bulldozed the whole thing over. He says its the whole side hill, my best guesstimate is about 120 feet wide and maybe 80 feet across by the way he explained it. He also said that the garbage layer was about 3 feet thick. He wanted to show a bottle that he dug to his friend but couldn't find the bottle. The way he describes it it sounds like its pontiled. I just happen to have a few old bottle magazines with me and when I was flipping through it he pointed to a rectangular med. It was an 1880/90's med bottle. He said there's a lot of those down there. No I have to wait for 2 weeks for him to get a part for his excavator and he's gonna poke a hole through there to see what he buried. He seems real excited about it now and he plans on digging with me. If its the quality of glass I'm hoping for then he's only gonna take out a scoop before I stop him and then start to dig by hand. Its nice to have all the heavy equipment there to help scrap off the over burden. He also said that there's no screw tops. I can't wait to see what's under there. Swiz

Can't wait to see the results of this, I have my fingers crossed for you[;)]

swizzle

Reaction score
There's always a chance of a late throw and 30's/50's is a good dump for embossed and acl milks and art deco sodas. That's also a good time for grandma to update her canning jars with those new screw tops. I'm not trying to keep you digging one dump but there is always going to be newer dumps with good stuff in them too. I would have that dump as one to fall back on in between digging other dumps. Definitely use old maps and county archives to research your area. Where are you located? I might be able to help you dig up some type of helpful research. Swiz

swizzle

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: TreasurDiggrNY

Can't wait to see the results of this, I have my fingers crossed for you[;)]

Me either. I just hope he didn't bust to many bottles when he bulldozed the whole dump over. I might have to go over before he gets his part and start digging it by hand. Swiz

Nickevlau

Reaction score

I'll definitely keep a look out for another. I would love to have the two side by side!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH