New farm dump, to dig, or not to dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JGUIS

Reaction score
Thinking back on a house I knew of about 15 years ago, I decided to check it out today. It being at least a mile from any road or other house in the middle of the woods wasn't protection enough. It somehow burned down to the foundation, which by the way is full of water and frogs. Found a few shards of some salt fired crocks around the house itself. Very crappy area all around the house, all the slate from the roof is like a tile floor under the leaves, not to mention that the area is very near where flint was gathered/mined by our native friends, and the ground is absolutely filled with it from chips to several hundred pound boulders of the stuff. Has anyone else noticed the similar sound to the right piece of flint while probing? About 200' from the house is a pit in the hillside, it has boulders scattered about, no trash. Thinking this may have been either a coal mine, or a flint quarry. The impression is about 20' by 40', dropping about 8-10'. On the other side of the old roadbed from the house was either a small barn or a chicken house. It was about 15-20' deep by 60' wide, dont ever remember seeing that when the house was still standing. Found an unembossed beer, some frags, and the same as with the house with the slate, but add all the rotting wood layer too, with a side of briars. Between this building and the roadbed, is a systern which had a pipe for a pump leading to the house. It was brick, and had water in it. Below it were a few frags, a little further downhill yielded the lid(I always find the lids to the darn broken crocks!), and a few frags. About 200' away from the barn along the hill is a wash with alot of glass in it, but most of it is newer stuff. I thought I saw something nice in the leaves and it turned out to be a root beer bottle with the digital stamp on the bottom. This place has obviously been picked at, but not dug. Most things are ketchup, PB, then some amber Clorox, pieces of pinkish milks, Crooksville china, but everythings broken. I dug about 1/3 of one side of the wash, down to the clay(which was only about a foot if that) and found nothing of value, except 2 broken local sodas which I have been looking for.:( I did find a piece of an interesting looking bottle and am wondering if anyone knows anything about it just from the top. It is a very nice dark green, full of bubbles, seam fades into the neck about 2" from the top. You can see a twist in the bubbles in this 2". One finger of the break made it passed the shoulder showing it to be SS, and on the edge of that piece is the tip of an embossed letter. Any ideas? I'm wondering if I should keep digging, or try another approach on the whole property.

Xv65789.jpg

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
the glass looks and sounds old. that alone would keep me on the property.

it does kinda look like is was a green Ferro-China bottle. Im not really too sure about that company or what it was. Maybe you can find something in recent posts about it.

but...

are you in the states?...

the flint from our native friends sounds very cool. i know people buy the raw lithic material for their own reproductions. thats good bout that.

maybe this will be one of those dumps that might have some artifacts in it? i know im gonna be digging in a place like that tomorrow. im really really excited. so excited infact, im telling everyone on this forum! haha.

well. keep searchin around that property. post some more pics to keep us posted. and if ya need any help, ya can always email me. haha. Matt.

JGUIS

Reaction score
I'm in Southeastern Ohio, not sure about artifacts there, but just about any plowed field for a hundred miles does. Most of the pieces are fist sized in the area of the house, but the old mine has 30 or so chunks about the size of 5 gallon buckets or bigger. The big pieces here are different colors, blue to purple, red to white. I have a piece that is red white and blue, ironic? I'll have to take pics when I go back out, I'll get some layout shots of the farm too so someone can help me look in the right place.

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
just got back from fields today. my buddy found a small but really really nice jasper drill, and i found an argillite triangle.

ill tell him to post the insitu shots.

the flint sounds pretty cool. we have a place here in PA called Vera Cruz. It was a jasper quarry used by the natives.

hope to see some pics!

JGUIS

Reaction score
Alot of flint around here looks like this, full of quartz. The crystals grow very prominently and in large clusters in the white/grey stuff, but in stripes or layers in the black. I've seen these crystal clusters sold in rock shops for what seems like big bucks, especially when I can get bucketloads of it for free. :)

Nl29284.jpg

Attachments

• Nl29284.jpg
    Nl29284.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 49

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday