New guy

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Conch times

Reaction score
First one of these I have seen, it says HAAS & RYTTENBERG. 510 BROADWAY N.Y. On it
1889cab6.jpg

44c9971a.jpg

Conch times

Reaction score
I must be slackin no comments lately, let's see if I can get you guys going.
This one says J Otto & son
Druggists
Duval st
Key west fla
5699a7cf.jpg

This one is Manns Cologne.
35b6f836.jpg

No clue on this one, it's got threads so it might not be that old right?
67503ab2.jpg

This one says John wyeth & Bro
BEEF JUICE
06949159.jpg

6544147a.jpg

d3c332e7.jpg

This one says burnham's
Clam
Bouillon
E.S. burnham co.
New York
1ec1eaaa.jpg

I think you guys can see this one, woo! Hoo! One good pic out of 100.
d031938f.jpg

Broken lip and all, I love this bottle it's the only one we found like this! Any ideas?
36098646.jpg

36098646.jpg

72b5ca83.jpg

Conch times

Reaction score
I love any feedback good or bad, I just did not want to were out my welcome by asking to many questions. When ever I try to do research I usually end up here anyways so that's why I post my stuff here it's more personal to get the info first hand as opposed to an old post.sorry did not mean to ruffle your feathers bottle god.

MichaelFla

Reaction score
The threaded lip one looks like it has the Colgate & Co logo on it.

Small mouth external thread finishes were used, though rarely, on some mouth-blown liquor flasks and perfume/toiletry bottles dating back to the mid-1870s. External screw threads on mouth-blown bottles are relatively more common (though still not typical) beginning in the 1890s on liquor flasks, some perfume/toiletry bottles, and various condiment and sauce bottles (Clint 1976). From

Provided that is the Colgate & Co logo... Colgate & Co started using this name in 1857 (though they had been around since 1806), and used it until 1928 when they merged with Palmolive-Peet. From

I like that little cologne. Something about that basic shape appeals to me.

The green one is a capers bottle. They are fairly common, though they seem to be attracting more of an audience than they used to. Maybe it's the color?

epackage

Reaction score
What Mike said above, I like the Otto Medicine bottle...[;)]

Conch times

Reaction score
We found three different sizes of the Otto bottle, the same with the porter and ridgell bottles. Im surprised that the green one is so common, being as we only found the one. Still cool though I like the color.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Conch times

We found three different sizes of the Otto bottle, the same with the porter and ridgell bottles. Im surprised that the green one is so common, being as we only found the one. Still cool though I like the color.
Everyone loves the Capers bottles, they came in numerous forms and are usually green like that....they make for great window displays..

surfaceone

Reaction score
burnham's
Clam
Bouillon
E.S. burnham co.
New York

1ec1eaaa.jpg

Hey Jay,

I like it. I think you have the "Trial Size."

81G316TDgML._AA1500_.jpg
1895 Ad.

newengland.jpg

"From the New York Times, 6 Jan. 1941, "East Orange, N. J., Jan. 5 - Elmer S. Burnham, founder and retired president of the E. S. Burnham Packing Company of New York, which he established in 1890, died here last night at his residence, 67 Watson Avenue, after a short illness. Born in Deerfield, Mich., 87 years ago, he was a grain broker in Chicago before entering the packing business. A son, S. M. Burnham, lives in Florida." The subject of this notice was Elmer S. Burnham (1855-1941).

Burnham's in New York began as E. S. Burnham Co. Manufacturers Grocers' Specialties at 120 Gansevoort St. around 1894, and moved to 53-61 Gansevoort in 1897. They were located here until 1929. Their products were groceries, produce, and druggist sundries. Apparently the sundries included medicinal tonics and extracts, as well as clam bouillon.

This is the top of a flyer for Burnham's Great Restorative Tonic combining beef, wine and iron. The bottom of the same flyer mentions Burnham's Clam Bouillon.

Regarding Burnham's bouillon The American Druggist and Pharmaceutical Record of 8 October 1900 (vol. xxxvii, no. 8) wrote, "It was conclusively proven in the Spanish-American War that the Clam Bouillon of the E. S. Burnham Company was an invaluable preparation, both as a food and as a tonic. When arrangements for supplies for hospital use were being made by the Red Cross Society, and careful investigation was made by the society into the respective merits of every product, the E. S. Burnham Company was among the favored number and received a small order for their Clam Bouillon. Within a short time they received duplicate orders ... With the public Burnham's has been a popular article for several seasons..."

This notice for Burnham's Clam Bouillon appeared in The Medical Current, vol. x, 1894. A similar ad appeared in the Medical Record, 27 June 1903.

The Marco Island Florida.com website says that E. S. Burnham established a clam factory at Caxambas on Marco Island in 1904. Marco Island is located on the southwest coast of Florida near Naples.

Another Burnham product was a forerunner to today's jello, a powdered dessert gelatin called Hasty Jellycon. This ad for Hasty Jellycon can be found in the Google digitized book, Tried and True: A Collection of Approved Recipes (p. 192), published 1907.

The facade overlooking Gansevoort Street also has several signs, some of which may be signs for Burnham's. See the next image for more...

The Gansevoort Market Historic District Designation Report (New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission, 2003, pg. 167) describes. "the unusual flatiron-shaped store-and-loft building at 53-61 Gansevoort Street (1887, Dunn), which housed E. S. Burnham & Co., clam canners." The report gives the following information on Burnham: "E.S. Burnham & Co. / E.S. Burnham Packing Co., canned goods and, later, druggist sundries, remained in this location until around 1929. Elmer S. Burnham (c. 1854-1941), born in Michigan, began as a grain broker in Chicago prior to establishing his packing business. Among Burnham's products were clam chowder and clam bouillon. From 1905 to 1929, the E.S. Burnham Packing Co. operated a clam cannery on Marco Island, Florida." From.

burnham.jpg

So it's a Florida bottle. and it's good for you!

burnham1894.jpg

A previous discussion on Mystery Burnham...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4