New guy

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
Perhaps they made a single burner variety and also a larger ovate or double-burner stove which used a reservoir like the one posted? Considering how it was made (and the top being unfinished) I can't imagine that thing being used for much else aside from serving as a fuel reservoir of some sort or another.

MichaelFla

Reaction score
Yeah, the side image is spot-on. Maybe a later, smaller version or a change to the original design.

surfaceone

Reaction score
8631c23e.jpg

Hey Jay,

Let us help you, sir, by identifying the embossing on the bottles when you post them please. The above is the Kananga Water, I presume. Same same on the idea of Florida Water..

I was unaware of the "spiritual cleaning" aspect of their use, prior to your inquiry.

"FLORIDA WATER
and
KANANGA WATER

Florida Water is a 19th century formula for a commercially-prepared toilet water (see below for a definition of toilet water) that blends an array of floral essential oils in a water-alcohol base. The name refers to the fabled Fountain of Youth said to have been located in Florida.

A similar toilet water is Kananga Water, which is built upon a foundation of essential oil of Cananga odorata, also known as Ylang Ylang (which may be closer to its pronunciation in its native growth region of Indonesia and adjacent areas). Commercial kananga plantations were established in Jamaica in the 19th century by the British.

Both Florida Water and Kananga Water are widely used in rituals of home protection and spiritual cleaning, to scent bowls of water set out for the spirits of the dead, as a basis for making an ink-dyed scrying water, and for other ritual and cosmetic purposes among people of African-diaspora descent in the United States and the Caribbean. A third 19th century commercial perfume with magical associations is Hoyt's Cologne, which is used among African-American hoodoo practitioners to draw gambling luck." From.

yhst-96829732451264_2211_53318745
"Classically rich, heady fragrance of tropical blossoms. A Caribbean favorite.

Perfect as an after shave and after-bath body splash.

Along with Florida Water and a few others, Kananga Water is much favored by practioners of VooDoo, Hoo-Doo and Santeria." From.

The "Crary & Company" is a mustard, I believe.

Here's a previous thread on Kendall's Spavin Cure.

"BURDSALL'S

ARNICA LINIMENT

An Infallible Care for
Burns, Scalds, Sprains, Rheumatism, Gun Shot Wounds,
Pain In the Limbs and Back, Chilblains, etc.
A SINGLE APPLICATION
allays the pain from a bum or scald the instant it Is applied.
No family should be without it.
For Sale by all Druggists " From The Country Gentleman, 1865.

ebfde308.jpg

Don'tcha just love the crazing that overtakes some old crockery.

The+Hoodoo+Kings+hoodoo+kings.jpg

Conch times

Reaction score
This is all I have cleaned up right now.
Worcestershire sauce bottles.
000387c1.jpg

The old pirate bud light, tons of these in the pile.
224ec1cb.jpg

This one has that rainbow color thing going on for some reason, common bottle to the pile but the color is cool.
a8994591.jpg

b128691f.jpg

96259885.jpg

2978142f.jpg

09058638.jpg

2d5ede9c.jpg

Anyone seen one like this before?
cb8359b9.jpg

5f145ddb.jpg

Conch times

Reaction score
You can't really tell here but this one is a light purple color, I like the bubbles in the top.
6acae0dc.jpg

1d13962d.jpg

ncbred

Reaction score
Could the rectangular thing possibly have been a battery and held acid like some of the self winding clock jars?

Conch times

Reaction score
It's a sad day here in paradise, the trucks started hauling off our bottle gold mine today. If they keep there pace it will all be gone in about 10 days. although the great key west 2012 bottle dig is over I still have a gaggle of bottles to go through and clean up. I will post the ones I can't figure out, which will probably be most.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Jay,

Sorry to hear of the piles moving. Do you know their destination. Perhaps you'll have further opportunity to dig, now that they've been uprooted again.

Your last bubbly guy looks like an early machine made food bottle, that has started to turn in the sun. Pickled something or other, I should imagine. I like the bubbles.

This guy:

5f145ddb.jpg
is very cool to my eyes. I'm thinking an ink from a fancy desk set. Would it have interlocked with something? I'm having a little trouble seeing all the details of it.

Are the Worcestershires all from Lea & Perrins, or other makers?

Am I seeing a "Taylor's French Cologne?" From where? Looks like a Hoyt's copy cat, from here in the cheap seats.

220px-Lionel_brand_worcestershire_sauce_label.jpg

Conch times

Reaction score
Yea we are bummed to see the pile being removed but we still have some time this weekend to dig. Those three together are all lea & perrins bottles. The colone bottle says its from Atlanta Georgia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday