New to bottle collecting

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

scorch1959

Reaction score
Hello! I'm very new to bottle collecting. I got started last Spring when I was poking around the back of my property and found the site of an old house that had burned down many years ago. I found a couple of bottles that hadn't been melted. There is also a dump site with a lot of broken glass, nails, and other junk. I'm waiting for the leaves to finish falling so I can go back in since it's very over grown. I went to an antique store this weekend and bought a few neat looking bottles. I didn't spend over $5 for any of them since I know just enough to be dangerous! HA! I bought the Antique Trader Bottles book and have been reading up on how to spot and older bottle. I'm really enjoying seeing all the neat stuff everyone here is finding!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hello back.Finding stuff in your own yard is nice! Some people drive for miles and then walk some more to find stuff. Keep your eyes out for the "other junk" I found an old rotting compact with some decent silver coins in it. [:)]

ScottBSA

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum. Everyone here has different specific interests as well as a general interest in history, glass and containers that held stuff. Find and collect what you like. Over time that will probably change and evolve. At some time or another people we never knew held that bottle or jar, used the contents to feed themselves or get drunk or make themselves more beautiful or hope to cure some disease. Bottles can be a beautiful and inexpensive way to access the past. Scott

bottlerocket

Reaction score
What was the year on the house? Could be a privy there. Good luck. Post pictures.

scorch1959

Reaction score
<<<<<<<Keep your eyes out for the "other junk" I found an old rotting compact with some decent silver coins in it.>>>>Eric, that was a great find! I've found old cabinet door pulls, old bricks and an old bullet clip. I think finding old stuff is fun and interesting!

scorch1959

Reaction score
Scott, I really enjoy the history of the bottles. I'm sure I will find a specific interest to land on before to long. I have a old bottle that I found when I was about 9 yrs old. It's a triangle shape and small, probably an old medicine bottle. But I kept it all these years just cause it was neat looking!

scorch1959

Reaction score
Bottlerocket, I have no idea how old the house was! I'll keep an eye out for a privy, that would be a great find if it does!

thebaronjp

Reaction score
ScottBSA said:
Hi and welcome to the forum.  Everyone here has different specific interests as well as a general interest in history, glass and containers that held stuff.  Find and collect what you like.  Over time that will probably change and evolve.  At some time or another people we never knew held that bottle or jar, used the contents to feed themselves or get drunk or make themselves more beautiful or hope to cure some disease.  Bottles can be a beautiful and inexpensive way to access the past.

Scott
[/quote

Well said Scott.

RCO

Reaction score
just make sure you wear gloves or other protective gear if your digging around broken glass and old nails , that kind of stuff can get dangerous and easy to cut yourself

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey