Am I collecting bottles or just prick up trash?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Turbopelican

Reaction score
Hey I like em all! And I feel your pain, I'm always thinking "this could be a rare type of bottle" since I'm in the same uneducated collector boat! Which is why I haul a bunch of worthless glass home!! But it's kinda fun for me so why not!! (Plus it pushes certain spouse buttons occasionally)! I've never bought or sold a bottle, but enjoy just being in the woods, the bottle hunting is just a bonus, if it holds value, bonus ++!! Still having fun not watching the garbage on TV or farting around on this phone!! Wish I was out doing it right now
Thanks!! I like them all too but I understand why the more serious collectors don’t. The Clorox bottles and the jugs are a fan favorite among my friends and family. To the normies they make nice decorative pieces. I attached orchids to a few of them just to see if I like it

Turbopelican

Reaction score
If it has or doesn't have pontil scar it while help with narrowing how old the fragment could be.
I will send a picture of it tomorrow. It was commandeered and is currently being used as a ash tray. Does it warrant more love and attention or is it just a cool piece of broken glass?

gdog68

Reaction score
Not if broken but was curious if it was pontiled. It could be a sign of an older dump site area or it could just be a peice that washed up there.

gdog68

Reaction score
Might be worth while to check that spot over

willong

Reaction score
So I’m not sure if the old yacht club used to dump its trash offshore and some of it blew in or sunk. If it came from ship wrecks in the general area or it’s just 100’s of years of random trash?
Likely, all of the above.

Given the varied condition of the bottles, their origins and eras of production, together with the net floats that I could see in the background of some of your photos, I figured you were hunting tidal areas and intended to ask about that before I got to the place in you postings where you revealed that you are hunting in FL. As you have already noticed, the storm action can bring fresh deposits within reach; so, I'd venture you have bottle collecting in your future for at least as long as you reside in the area.

I'm in the same camp as CanadianBottles when it comes to selecting what to keep: I would pack anything home that was mouth blown in mold (BIM) as well as any interesting embossed bottles. I can see by your selections that you are also attracted to interesting shapes and colors of bottles too; and there is nothing wrong with collecting those whether or not they are not considered valuable by the masses. At some point, you'll either decide to cull a few in order to upgrade and make space in your collection for preferred examples; or, you have to invest in a bigger house (or storage units).

Welcome to the forum and the affliction!

CaBottleNewb

Reaction score
Thank you! I have so much to learn!
Just have fun...its kind of a rabbit hole lol. As long as you are attracted to what you are collecting, then it is great collection. But seriously you have some beautiful pieces

dab46

Reaction score
I’m a new bottle collector or at least I think am? I may just be collecting worthless glass? This is my first post although I’ve been stalking for a few months, While I learn. Can anyone please look at some of the things I’ve found and give me an overall opinion on what I’m finding? Have I found anything even considered decent??? Anything older than 1900?? Everything is from the same area and from what I’ve been able to research, spans over many many many years. I’d love to know if any of this is interesting and worth extra time and further exploration. Sorry I’m advance for all the pictures, hopefully you’ll enjoy them,

dab46

Reaction score
I’m a new bottle collector or at least I think am? I may just be collecting worthless glass? This is my first post although I’ve been stalking for a few months, While I learn. Can anyone please look at some of the things I’ve found and give me an overall opinion on what I’m finding? Have I found anything even considered decent??? Anything older than 1900?? Everything is from the same area and from what I’ve been able to research, spans over many many many years. I’d love to know if any of this is interesting and worth extra time and further exploration. Sorry I’m advance for all the pictures, hopefully you’ll enjoy them,

dab46

Reaction score
look's ok keep going,whiskey flask is nice the aqua bottle is older too anytime your digging applyed top bottles it's worth digging.

Old man digger

Reaction score
I'd go by the old saying, "one mans trash is another mans treasure" The gallon jugs are in demand around my area, so are they collectable? They have varied uses. If you were in the hills of Tenn. or Kentucky, I say hell yea they are valuable. Just keep what appeals to you and rid yourself of the ones that do
not. There really are no throw away bottles from what I have seen on this venue. IMHO

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac