Am I collecting bottles or just prick up trash?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
I like the 4 Roses. Thats about it for me.

P.S. Welcome to the site.

Turbopelican

Reaction score

thanks for the input. I like that one myself! I appreciate you taking the time to look at them and reply. Considering I had no bottles and never even thought about collecting any. I’m happy people of the caliber collecting here can even find one they liked. I’ve only spent a couple of days hunting the area I located. It’s just full of bottles from different time periods including today. Every response just helps me narrow down what I take and what I leave. I’ll spend more time picking up the good stuff and less time fretting over the junk. Carrying around those gallon jugs isn’t easy and I’ll be happy leaving them behind knowing they are common.

Turbopelican

Reaction score

thanks for the input. I like that one myself! I appreciate you taking the time to look at them and reply. Considering I had no bottles and never even thought about collecting any. I’m happy people of the caliber collecting here can even find one they liked. I’ve only spent a couple of days hunting the area I located. It’s just full of bottles from difEvery response just helps me narrow down what I take and what I leave. I’ll spend more time picking up the good stuff and less time fretting over the junk. Carrying around those gallon jugs isn’t easy and I’ll be happy leaving them behind knowing they are common.

gdog68

Reaction score
I would agree with Mailman, as long as you enjoy what your doing this hobby can be tons of fun, no matter what caliber of collector you are. This hobby has been really enjoyable for me, and happy hunting whether it be digging, diving, garage sale, or estates, etc.

CCB420

Reaction score
Hey I like em all! And I feel your pain, I'm always thinking "this could be a rare type of bottle" since I'm in the same uneducated collector boat! Which is why I haul a bunch of worthless glass home!! But it's kinda fun for me so why not!! (Plus it pushes certain spouse buttons occasionally)! I've never bought or sold a bottle, but enjoy just being in the woods, the bottle hunting is just a bonus, if it holds value, bonus ++!! Still having fun not watching the garbage on TV or farting around on this phone!! Wish I was out doing it right now

Turbopelican

Reaction score
Hey I like em all! And I feel your pain, I'm always thinking "this could be a rare type of bottle" since I'm in the same uneducated collector boat! Which is why I haul a bunch of worthless glass home!! But it's kinda fun for me so why not!! (Plus it pushes certain spouse buttons occasionally)! I've never bought or sold a bottle, but enjoy just being in the woods, the bottle hunting is just a bonus, if it holds value, bonus ++!! Still having fun not watching the garbage on TV or farting around on this phone!! Wish I was out doing it right now
Welcome,
Are you having fun, that's all that matters. Unless you're in a just for the money. How are you getting the bottles digging ,garage sales, estate sales I think you get the picture.
I’m definitely having fun! I love old things and I love the hunt. I’m not in it for the money but knowing what things are worth is oddly satisfying. Even though I don’t plan on selling any. I live in south Florida (east coast) and This all started for me in a random fashion. I was running around in my skiff going from one abandoned Cuban raft to another hunting for handmade paddles, boat props and anything else I found interesting. I had anchored near one and was wadding into to check it out when I stepped on a bottle. When I looked down at it it appeared to be old so I picked it up. Low and behold it was a stoneware ginger beer bottle from bristle England. So I threw it in my bucket and continue on. I had honestly forgotten about it until I was out catching stone crabs 6-7 months after a hurricane and found another old bottle on the bottle. So I took that home. When I got around to doing a little research it appeared the 2nd bottle was older than the first. I believe it to be a bottle made in a turning mold. That got me thinking about where they were coming from so I started searching for the source. Which I am still in the process of finding. I found the bottles I posted and a lot more both in the water and on land. So I’m not sure if the old yacht club used to dump its trash offshore and some of it blew in or sunk. If it came from ship wrecks in the general area or it’s just 100’s of years of random trash? Sorry to be so long winded but I hope that gives you a better idea how I started and where I’ve been finding my stuff. The broken black glass bottle is old! I just don’t know how old but my quest is to find one intact

Turbopelican

Reaction score
I would agree with Mailman, as long as you enjoy what your doing this hobby can be tons of fun, no matter what caliber of collector you are. This hobby has been really enjoyable for me, and happy hunting whether it be digging, diving, garage sale, or estates, etc.
I’m 100% enjoying it! Despite being in the shadow of a major metropolis It’s quiet and peaceful where I hunt. Wish I would have known about this as a kid. I had a whole lot more time and energy back then

gdog68

Reaction score
Yeh that broken black glass bottle has some really thick glass. Can you send a pick of the bottom of the fragment?

gdog68

Reaction score
If it has or doesn't have pontil scar it while help with narrowing how old the fragment could be.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94