New to Collecting

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

foobee5

Reaction score
For years I have been collecting sea glass and shards from old ports, and areas where water was used as a dump. Some of the glass is lovely but the black glass from the old port near where I live is most fascinating because of its age. I have necks and bases that date to the 1700s.

My question is how do I even begin to collect antique bottles? I have been reading the forum on garage sales. What books would you recommend to the beginner and strategies? Antique stores? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks, Liz [8|]

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Liz,

Welcome to this place. Shards and 18th Century necks, you say? I think photos are in order here, shortly...

Perhaps a visit to the library, Historical Society, or old time port inhabitants is in order. Where there are shards, and bits...

sca-cabi.jpg

splante

Reaction score
https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/Purple-Bottle/m-489060/tm.htm
scroll down to red matthews on this link he is about the 6th reply down always offering to help new collectors.

foobee5

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Just recently I've been trying to connect with some of the longtime residents that I often see on my collecting walks. Black glass does not seem as interesting to them as the colors. Every once in a while a scuba diver goes in from the shore only a short distance and collects bottles. I am so envious! Trying to get my brother-in-law up here. He dives on coastal wrecks. Will work on pictures. Liz

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skippy4747