New to the forums. Lots of unknown bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

LC

Reaction score
Spence, see you got busy posting some pictures. In that dump you are digging at the mansion, I believe I would just start digging a hole straight down till you hit bottom and see if you get into anythig older, you may be surprised at what you might find, or at least I hope you will be. How the devil did I end up here on this site ?? Now I am all fired up again and want to go out and dig the daylighes out of something!

epgorge

Reaction score
It is a great dream!![&:]

Don't quit your day job just yet. Roots are a real drag and they are unforgiving to glass. I have found them totally engulfed in root. I just leave them alone figuring they are now part of a living thing.

I have never found one not broken either.

Digging is a delicate operation to me. I take my time and enjoy the discoveries as I figure the best way to get it out without breaking it. Sometimes I will wet it down and go to another spot while it loosens up.

When your kids get old enough you can bring them with you. Have fun digging. I wish I were with you.

Joel

thebottlelady

Reaction score
You know, it makes me feel so much better knowing that I'm not weird for finding joy in digging in trash looking for some kind of treasure. Everyone that knows me can't grasp the fact that I even like finding these bottles. I guess being a girly-girl who doesn't like bugs/dirt/outdoors for a long time has concealed my inner tom-boy. I've been a stay-at-home mom for over 2 years and my daughter will be going to daycare in a few months. That means I have to get a "real job".[:'(] As long as it's with computers (or digging up bottles) I can manage.

I'll be sure to leave the trees alone next time. I hope I can dig up this entire hill. I want a front-end loader for christmas[:-] I posted looking for a digging partner so maybe I'll have some luck there. I've got about 50-60 more bottles to clean up and have to buy a bottle brush so I can clean up the inside of all the ones I've got so far.

epgorge

Reaction score
Amanda,

If you think trees are unforgiving to glass, try a front end loader sometime.

There is huge money to be made from diggin bottles, but it is feast or famine. I know a few people, a couple I would suppose on this list, who make their livelyhoods from digging and selling. Most of us are treasure hunters but there are a few pirates out there, as well. Knowledge is your best weapon against them.

Your interest is high and your friends will give attention the first time you sell a $500-$1000 that was thrown away some 150+ years ago. You are a savior and keeper of antiquities. It is a tough job but someone has to do it.

See you around the threads.
Joel

thebottlelady

Reaction score
Darn. I couldn't go today. Sis-in-law isn't feeling well so there goes my sitter. Found 33 cents more in the driveway. One day the metal detector will pay for itself. So it looks like we might get a chance to go out and dig on sunday if the weather permits. My little Smile soda bottle might fetch around $10, which is something to be proud of! Now to clean up those pennies and see if anything is old.

Here's two Bromo Seltzer bottles. Should fetch something on Ebay.

F9455CF57AC1475AA2EC9763BD523A10.jpg

Attachments

• F9455CF57AC1475AA2EC9763BD523A10.jpg
    F9455CF57AC1475AA2EC9763BD523A10.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 63

digdug

Reaction score
Your story of finding change reminds me of a something that happened to me. Several years ago the company I work for bought some old school property from the County. It wasn't far from a Civil War battle site. I asked permission to search the property with a metal detector. I found a TON of..................lost lunch money. Didn't find the first Civil War item, but did make around $38 in change! All that lost lunch and milk money from countless kids.

thebottlelady

Reaction score
Doug, that's a very funny story. Would have been nice to find all that change AND a cannonball or something. Went through my last box of bottles and found 2 that were unique. The tall, clear bottle says 100M and Italy along with some characters I can't make out and the short blue one has a very informative '2' on the bottom. Here's a photo of them.

B49E735EB5214586B03F9A92DB1A3C28.jpg

Attachments

• B49E735EB5214586B03F9A92DB1A3C28.jpg
    B49E735EB5214586B03F9A92DB1A3C28.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 54

digdug

Reaction score
What size is the Smile bottle you posted earlier? Is it a 'regular' size or a miniature? It was hard to tell in the photo.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause