Newbie with question!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Gigster

Reaction score
Hello out there! This looks like a fantastic site. I was not a collector untill recently when my father began giving me a lot of old things that he'd forgotten he had. Amongst the things were a number of bottles. For the most part he didn't know much about them, other than where he got them. Most of them were picked up while scuba diving while stationed at Guantanamo in Cuba. Anyway, the first item is a bottle that says "KARL RUTTER, NEW YORK, XII N" on the bottom, and "this bottle not to be sold," on the side. The bottle is about 9 1/2" tall. If anyone can date it and/or tell me more about it, I'd appreciate it. Thanks! Kerry

Ay73628.jpg

Attachments

• Ay73628.jpg
    Ay73628.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 63

Gigster

Reaction score
Woody, Thanks for the quick reply.
Got another one for you. It is made of black or very dark green glass. Has a large indentation on bottom with a large "P" marked on the inside of the indentation. It's about 10" high. Was found on sea floor while diving off coast of Cuba.
Gigster

Li20844.jpg

IRISH

Reaction score
Those bottles here are simply referred to as "blacks", they where a general purpose container that was mostly used for beer, porter, spirits and the like although I've seen one with a Tomato sauce lable still on it. They date roughly from the 1840's to about 1880s in the shape of your one, it's probably 1860s-70's.
I don't know the glass maker but I've found a few with the same mark on the base, probably English.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squirrelman