No Return policy

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SC pontil collector

Reaction score
I buy most of my bottles from auction houses and ebay. Some sellers on ebay have a "no return" policy. That seems strange to me, so I don't buy bottles from them.
Can anyone on the forum shed some light as to why a seller would have such a policy?
Thank you,
sc pontil collector

sandchip

Reaction score
I don't place bids with sellers with a no return policy either. I think they are hurting themselves when they do this, because the item would probably bring even more if they had a good, fair return policy. It's like they think they can't miss a flaw on a bottle. "No Returns" always sends up a red flag for me, and I stay away, no matter how tempting it may be.

cc6pack

Reaction score
One thing to remember, if you use PayPal, there is a return policy. Just because the seller states it in his TOS does not make it so.

SC pontil collector

Reaction score
Thanks Sandchip for your post. I was wondering if it was just my paranoia about being too cautious when a seller would say no returns.
cc6pack, I do use paypal a lot these days on ebay. Do you know how it works with a no return seller's bottle?
Thanks,
sc pontil collector

diggerdirect

Reaction score
I got to looking & eBay had this to say:

"Sellers on eBay are required to specify a return policy. This is true even if the seller's return policy is not to accept returns. If you don't specify a return policy, we'll select a default return policy for you.

You can set up and choose the details of your return policy -- time limit, charges, item condition, and more -- in the Additional Information section of the form you use to list your item.

Your ability to return an item depends on the seller's return policy, which you should be able to find in the listing or by asking the seller.

While we encourage sellers to be clear and specific about their return policy, it's up to them whether they accept returns.

If your item doesn't match the listing description, you should contact the seller first. If that doesn't work out, you can open a case in our Resolution Center."

So in essence a listing with 'Returns not Accepted' actually means 'Returns not Accepted Willingly' and your probably going to have to do alittle leg work to get your money back, and subject to eBay arbitration, but certainly a possibility.

eBays Resolution Center would be (IMO) the first step in initiating a return on a non returnable listing, I would fund a purchase with PayPal or credit card for all such transactions as they also have buyers protections as well.

As a seller running a business I know I HATE returns [:mad:] (lol) but the fact is they can & do happen, for a variety of legitimate reasons, caveat venditor, We are all human, make mistakes, miss something, whatever. I figure Returning an item for a legit reason should never be a problem. Customer relations is a big factor in whether a business succeeds or fails.

But thats from a business perspective, the 'one-off' or the casual sellers dont always see it that way, nor do they have to.

Many sellers on ebay sell a variety of stuff, and not everyone is up to speed on everything they are selling, quite naturally, so caveat emptor, Get to know your seller! ASK questions, get better pictures if the answer isn't clear, check feedbacks, ect. before making the purchase & lessen the possibility of having to return.

These of course are just my opinions, your mileage may vary,
Al [:)]

caveat emptor- [Latin, Let the buyer beware.] A warning that notifies a buyer that the goods he or she is buying are "as is," or subject to all defects. When a sale is subject to this warning the purchaser assumes the risk that the product might be either defective or unsuitable to his or her needs.
This rule is not designed to shield sellers who engage in Fraud or bad faith dealing by making false or misleading representations about the quality or condition of a particular product. It merely summarizes the concept that a purchaser must examine, judge, and test a product considered for purchase himself or herself.

caveat venditor- (Latin for "let the seller beware") has become more prevalent for a seller who is in the business of regularly selling a particular type of goods, and as such has still greater responsibilities in dealing with an average customer. A person purchasing antiques from an antique dealer, or jewelry from a jeweler, (or bottles from a bottle dealer) is justified in his or her reliance on the expertise of the seller.

SC pontil collector

Reaction score
Wow, that is really explaining this subject in great detail. Thank you for taking the time to do so.
Doing your homework with a seller and understanding what they mean in their return or no return policy is huge. Also, your correct that many sellers don't just sell bottles or they only sell occasionally.
My personal experience is that most reputable sellers will offer a reasonable return policy (this is huge on ebay).
I have bought bottles with American Bottle, Glass Works and Glass Discoveries Auctions without any return problems (note that my returned bottles have been almost none).
Thank you,
sc pontil collector

splante

Reaction score
I thought the same ebay makes you have a return policy..or it will default . Now a seller may have skipped the step to select his return policy, which can happen. But if the seller states in hid "description" no returns then that is a definate red flag and I would pass him up

94B755F3A05D4C1FA0218394576D3D2A.jpg

Attachments

• 94B755F3A05D4C1FA0218394576D3D2A.jpg
    94B755F3A05D4C1FA0218394576D3D2A.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 79

hansmc

Reaction score
I have been buying and selling on ebay for more than 10 years now. When buying, a sellers feedback is way more important to me than the return policy. I have listed no returns. I only do this because I am not a retail store, and in the past have had people return or want to return an item just because they decide they dont want it anymore. I just had this happen about 2 weeks ago on Ebay. If there is something wrong with the item or I misrepresented it I will defenitely take care of the problem, whether its a return or just a refund. I think with alot of what going on with ebay is causing new problems. Ebay for the most part is not a retail site, I may list 100 things a year. It is not fair for Ebay or its users to hold me to the same standards as Walmart.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorginaAc