"No Trespassing"

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

whiskeyman

Reaction score
SURF...give the contractor an option. Either allow you to dig or you'll contact the "Archies" and they'll shut down the site for weeks/months...[;)]

I tellya, I'd be sorely tempted to just scoot in there and dig that. [8|]

RedGinger

Reaction score
That's a good idea, Whiskeyman. I wonder if your state is one in which the construction people are legally obligated to call in the state archaeologists when things are found.

surfaceone

Reaction score
I know the temptation, but if you're not allowed there, you're not allowed.  I figure bottles have waited this long, so if there's a spot I can't dig, maybe in the future, I'll be able to dig it.  Why not go back and talk to the owner of the property?  You'll feel a lot better.

Gd'afternoon Lauren,

The owner of this property is either the feds, or the Department of Real Good Skooling, I'm not really sure which. In rationalizing away here, I'm sayin to myself, "I'm a taxpayer, I'll even pay a diggin tax, but geeze-Louise!" I've tried to get permission to dig on land owned by quasi-public agencies before. If you want to go on an never ending snipe hunt, try even finding the person who might give permission, let alone receiving an answer that doesn't begin with, "Our insurance carrier doesn't..."

The contractors are moving real fast now. I'm thinking that the retention pond, is about to be filled with real large boulders. Though, I've not yet talked to them, I've received too many fast, dismissive answers that begin with, "Our insurance carrier doesn't..."

I guess I'm just plain flustered, frustrated, and frazzled. I have a real problem walking away from a clearly 19th Century exposed privy or trash pit, that is about to be buried, or paved over so that someone can more easily park their Datsun.

I'm not prepared to do a night dig here. Anybody have any good guerilla digging advise? I'm trying not to look up the penalties for Trespassing under the influence of antique bottle fever. Charlie, if you don't mind my asking, how long did you get in the hoosegow?

Prolly just another case of durned if you do, double durned if you don't. But, still...

Hey Jamie, another great tale. Have you listened to these guys?
10542003.jpg
From.

901098311_21722a2901.jpg
"Who ya gonna call..."

RedGinger

Reaction score
Do you have anyone you could ask to be a lookout for you?

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Construction "rent-a-fences" and "rent-a-cops" mean nothing to me. If old Barney Fife had pulled his gun on me I would have folded him up like a pocket knife and confiscated his weapon. He then would be placed under arrest and consequently lose his job, one that he shouldn't have in the first place. You DO NOT draw your weapon on a trespasser, especially one that is walking away. That man is a danger to himself and to others. I'd hie myself back there and do a repeat encounter, after calling the local police and informing them of the previous encounter with the gun totin' moron.

Lordbud

Reaction score
Don't park next to the lot/site. Park across the street but not directly across, or around the corner. Go early in the morning just as it's getting light preferably a Sunday morning or a holiday morning. Scope the place out, gather your backpack/tools and don't look around, or over your shoulder -- act like you belong there. Have a digging buddy with you. I've even worn dayglo reflective vests over my shirt on occasion. Calling attention to yourself in a subtle manner is like not calling attention to yourself. Try to keep your tools in your backpack until you get to the actual privy or place you want to dig. Carry shovel, probe and any other large tools in an upright position parallel to your body. And the main thing is strike when the opportunity is there. Once the site is built upon it's gone forever.

mr.fred

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Lordbud

Don't park next to the lot/site. Park across the street but not directly across, or around the corner. Go early in the morning just as it's getting light preferably a Sunday morning or a holiday morning. Scope the place out, gather your backpack/tools and don't look around, or over your shoulder -- act like you belong there. Have a digging buddy with you. I've even worn dayglo reflective vests over my shirt on occasion. Calling attention to yourself in a subtle manner is like not calling attention to yourself. Try to keep your tools in your backpack until you get to the actual privy or place you want to dig. Carry shovel, probe and any other large tools in an upright position parallel to your body. And the main thing is strike when the opportunity is there. Once the site is built upon it's gone forever.
Gotta say![8|]-----sounds like a working plan to me[;)]

appliedlips

Reaction score
I have always pondered collecting No tresspassing signs, myself.[:D]

Not that I am condoning tresspassing but an ability to B.S. in essential if you are going to do it. Always have your story worked out ahead of time, use your counties auditors site to help out. Most commercial construction sites are owned by a bank or corporation. Get the name of the company, make up a name of a contact person and dig on Sunday or after hours so there is no way to contact the owners. If approached be confident and go on the offensive, something like " this is getting old, I've been digging here for a week and get hassled everyday, now if you don't mind I have bottles to dig." I used to do almost all of my digging on vacant lots and construction sites and have been approached by the police, security, and land owners more times than I'd like to admit. I have been blessed to have not gotten in any trouble, but it is a risk. It is my theory that those chainlink and orange fences are placed there to keep out the vagrants making for a more relaxing digging experience. I rarely dig without permission anymore but will never pass up large scale construction projects in major cities. They will be developed and will never be accessed again.

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
I know someone that used to remove No Trespassing signs and bury them. If approached, he would apologize and say he didn't see any signs.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26