Novice Help

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CoryDB

Reaction score
My dad and I were talking to one of his friends who was telling us about a rare bottle he bought from someone for a fairly cheap price. Well my dad knew the place where the bottle was found, right across the road from my gandpa's house. So we set out to look for some bottles the next day. I asked my grandpa how far we should have to go, he said it shouldn't be far because a boarding house used to dump it's trash there. Sure enough we found piles of bottles and filled up the six bags we had with us with old bottles that are still in great condition. (Just to let you know I'm only 15 so I don't know much about bottles.)
Right now we are washing some of the bottles to get the dirt out from the inside. But I was wanting to know how much they are worth. Since they are being washed and soaking I can't take good pictures but I'll try to describe them ok.
We found some Clorox bottles of different sizes and shape, they are dark brown and some still have the original caps. We also found a bottle that had Tom's on the side. I guess that is a type of soda, another one is Sandy's chocolate milk. Also we found some short Budweiser bottles these are the same color as the Clorox bottles. I ran across what looks to be an old Asprin bottle or some kind of medicine, also I found a large jar that has Pet milk wrote on the side. I should have pictures up tomorrow when they are ready to take out from soaking. But if you can make head or tails of what bottles I'm talking about then please give me an idea on what they are worth and if they are worth going back and getting more.

Thanks,
Cory

CoryDB

Reaction score
Well, when we went we just picked up stuff on the top of the soil. We didn't have any digging equipment but we figured that older bottles may be under the dirt a little ways.

Oh and by the way, I went to a local hardware store that is going out of business. I went because my dad said he is starting to sell stuff out of the basement of the store just to clean it out. Well I went today and seen a few milk bottle, the kind that used to be delivered. I bought one for $2 because it looked old. It has two lines runing down opposite sides of each other, which looks like it was taken out of a two sided mold. On it it has in a circle "N.C. Approved" and under that it has "One Pint Liquid". I asked someone around town who should have knew the age and he said it looked to be from the '30s. Does this sound correct?

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Yes, judging by your descriptions, your site is not that old, at least on the surface. You might want to try digging under the obvious stuff to see if there's an older dump beneath. I have been into some locations that at first glance you would just walk away from; but found some collectibles beneath. Also, if it is a 40's or 50's dump, don't hesitate to take any painted milk bottles or sodas! There's a very good market for them. I personally like the pre 1900's, and don't really dig for the money, but it doesn't hurt. By the way, make sure you have good work boots and gloves when you dig, and get yourself a three-pronged cultivator and potato fork. Happy digging!

Zalgi

Reaction score
Cory...check out the Clorox website for info on their types of bottles:

http://www.clorox.com/company/bottleguide/cork.html

[:)]

woody

Reaction score
Being fairly new the Clorox bottles don't have alot of monetary value, but, some people like to decorate with them in their laundry room.
I suppose you could get a few dollars for them.

olddump

Reaction score
Cory, go to your local library and check out a couple of bottle books its the young people like yourself that keep bottle collecting alive and well. And ley me know what you find out . That is exactly how a lot of us got started. Good luck and keep looking.

Tom Olddump

okiedog

Reaction score
cory, theres nothing wrong with thinking about money when you think of bottles. it may not be politically correct among serious collecters however!!![:D] i also dabble in what i fondly call junking... which could be also known as flea marketing. any bottle with embossed words,those that have color(especially blue,red and also green),any bottle that has unique shape can have a resale value. small bottles sell real good because they simply take up small space.
i sold a gallon size clorox for $6.oo last year. was it worth that? i don't know but i didn't have that much in it!!!! that's the approach i suggest for you. you apparently won't have a large investment, so gather a load and visit your local flea market. get there early and have fun! good luck!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles