ODD 3 IN 1 Oil

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

botlguy

Reaction score
While cleaning my "Littles" I ran across this one. It should have a tooled Square Collar but the gaffer got a little heavy handed I guess. It has not been altered, it's in "As Dug" condition except for a little soap and water.

3AD79A074B274BA993662E49ECB6ED05.jpg

Attachments

• 3AD79A074B274BA993662E49ECB6ED05.jpg
    3AD79A074B274BA993662E49ECB6ED05.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 50

RED Matthews

Reaction score
So bottleguy, I don't understand your concern about the tooled finish. There are several ways to tool a bottles finish. Please advise. RED Matthews

zecritr

Reaction score
sorry to jump in but the finish doesn't look like a finished med bottle probably or at the least.
and a question for red were can i get info on how the tool finishes are done?

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well Christopher, It is a 3 in 1 Oil bottle not a med. And the applied finishes on early bottles had a band of hot glass put around the bottle neck and the bottle was empontilled on the bottom or held in a snap cage. The applied glass was shaped to a plain round band like this one was and the tool used was a handled clamp type of tool that had a prob that went into the neck and a form pad that was squeezed to the glass and turned to shape he desired finish. Quite often you can see a horizontal line formed around the bottle from the texture of the squeezing pads drag on turning. I will see if I can find a picture to send you tomorrow. RED Matthews

zecritr

Reaction score
cool thanks red would and do appreciate it :)
not sure why i was thinking 3n1 was a med duh
man am i on a duh roll tonight sorry folks

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RED Matthews

So bottleguy, I don't understand your concern about the tooled finish. There are several ways to tool a bottles finish. Please advise. RED Matthews
For clarity sake I should have put a normal 3 in 1 aside the odd ball for comparison. Red, I realize there are many different configurations of finish, LTC (Long Tapered Collar), LTCR (Long Tapered Collar w/ Ring), NSC (Narrow Square Collar) which the 3 in 1 should be, etc. I will locate my other 3 in 1 and post it's picture. I may even take some pictures of different finishes and post them. I am not concerned with the finish, I just thought it was odd for this particular bottle which normally has a NSC (Narrow Square Collar) on them.

I didn't think this / my post would raise these questions but I'm glad it did. Here's a picture of another one of my "Littles" that was made without a collar on purpose for some reason. I guess it should be called a SM (Sheared Mouth) but it too is tooled to a specific size.

046071B8B65B4B119139EA1B9F9E6F00.jpg

Attachments

• 046071B8B65B4B119139EA1B9F9E6F00.jpg
    046071B8B65B4B119139EA1B9F9E6F00.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 59

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi Jim and thanks for the come back. I really spend a lot of time on this FORUM and I enjoy the comodrey of everyone. I have quite a collection of old bottle pictures, finishes, mold repairs, and the one I wrote a blog about (The half leaf mold cavity repair) is my favorite one. I am still trying to find a bottle that is from the same mold as one of mine. The bottle I showed in the blog with two of them on the same bottle wasn't enough to satisfy my description with a lot of the Forum people.
I now have a bottle with a one inch round mold cavity plug being in the side of the bottle. I also have a lead on a couple of them with rectangular metal inserts.
Right now I am doing a review of my Ancient Age Gin Collection. I just keep my 83 year old head working on bottle collecting and study, RED Matthews

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28