Odd stoneware-- what was it used for?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Chris, May be a bean pot up there but down here I wouldn't eat any beans that came out of it. LOL Beans, biscuts and corn bread are cooked in cast iron in the south.

baltbottles

Reaction score
lol Cap that may be the case but being its a northeastern made piece it would be considered a bean pot. Stoneware chamberpots of the same era and local look more like a large bowl with just one handle. The second handle would be very odd. If a second handle was going to be applied it would most likely be another large strap handel not the smaller ear type. The lip is another clue that thing looks very uncomfortable to sit on. Most chamber pots have a wide flared lip for comfort.

Chris

baltbottles

Reaction score
Its a type of vessel used for either cooking or food preperation The two handle types make lifting the vessel easily for trasnsporting it and for easy pouring. I find it funny when people look at redware and stoneware as storage and serving vessels when these things were made for many puropses and cooking is one of the major ones.

Chris

logueb

Reaction score
Gotta go with Lobey on this one. That large handle on one side and the finger-grip handle on the other side is one of the characteristics of storage containers. Both large and small. No pottery expert, but see a lot going through the auctions. I would suppose thst the small handle would be usefull while lifting, but would be out of the way for pouring. My 1/2 cents worth.

glass man

Reaction score
If it was a chamber pot ,I SURE AM GLAD I DIDN'T HAVE TO EMPTY IT !! A HANDLE AND A EAR??? WOULD HAVE SLIPPED AND SPILLED ON ME EVERYTIME!

Stardust

Reaction score
that is one beauty of a pot no matter what it is for. love it! love it ! love it! gonna have to find one of those...[;)]

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barbudagirl