old black bottle found in melbourne

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

David E Dearden

Reaction score
I have a H RICKETT & Co Glass Works, seems to be around a push up on the bottom.
1821 England.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Ken . . .

Here is a pic of one of my Ricketts bottles. This one has a pontil scar and "PATENT" embossed on the shoulder. Notice the crude double-collar lip -- that notch was left by the lipping tool. I believe that this is an early example from the 1820s.

-------------Harry Pristis

Wu60142.jpg

Attachments

• Wu60142.jpg
    Wu60142.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 88

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi Harry ,
Maybe you can provide some info on a Ricketts bottle I have ?
It has I presume the word PATENT plated out or peened out on the shoulder. The first one I have ever seen like this. I have included some pics of the lip , base , and shoulder.

Ig11096.jpg

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
The shoulder ! Anybody have any ideas on age and why the word PATENT was removed from the mold ???? Thanks , Brian

Ge96901.jpg

Attachments

• Ge96901.jpg
    Ge96901.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 84

kendolbottles1black

Reaction score
thanks harry and brian both very nice bottles .hey brian may be they made to many bottles and wore out the slug mould [;)] any way thanks again ken[:)]

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Brian . . .

Nice bottle! What does the base-rim embossment on your bottle read? Use of such a light color glass became more common starting in the mid-1800s.

Dumbrell says that some of these Ricketts patent bottles were base-rim embossed, some weren't. Some had PATENT embossed on the shoulder, others had IMPERIAL PATENT on the shoulder. Some had no shoulder embossment. He does not suggest the reasons. It may have been as simple as customer preference.

I don't know why the mold for your bottle had the PATENT peened out. Perhaps, as Ken suggests, the embossing just wore out and didn't produce an adequate strike on the bottles anymore. Or, perhaps the machinist made a mistake in cutting the letters into the mold, and a decision was made to salvage the mold.

Here is a Ricketts patent bottle with the shoulder-embossed PATENT and no base-rim embossing. I think this one probably dates to the 1840s.

--------------Harry Pristis

Bz76781.jpg

Attachments

• Bz76781.jpg
    Bz76781.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 86

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi again Harry ,
I see you asked what was on the base embossing on my Ricketts bottle .
It is embossed with H. RICKETTS & CO GLASSWORKS BRISTOL ( It's hard to make out , you have to hold it just right to make out what it says ).
It is a 3 piece mold and has an iron pontil( No iron left ) or I guess it could be a sandchip pontil. This bottle has been dug or spent sometime in the water and the pontil is hard to see unless examined closley.
It looks like the PATENT was removed and not wore out. A slug plate inserted in the mold perhaps ???????? Thanks for the info , Brian

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen