Old flask?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mikepietrello

Reaction score
Here's what I have so far,
The only repros of the cornucopia flask I have found have an eagle on the other side not the urn like this one. I got this one on the Mass/new Hampshire border, and I found this article
The Foster Factories
The small town of Stoddard, located in the hills of Southwestern NH, was the home to numerous glasshouses through the mid 19th century. Joseph Foster, a top glassblower at the Keene-Marlboro Street glassworks, had purchased many of the assets and begun his own operations in Stoddard. His first furnace was located in South Stoddard, and blew many bottles and flasks, some that had originated from the Keene factory molds, such as the Cornucopia[/b]/ Urn flasks and the Eagle/ Cornucopia[/b] flasks, Railroad flasks, as well as blacking bottles, whiskeys, inkwells, medicine/ utility bottles and many demijohns and jars. Although wood and sand were quite plentiful in Stoddard, adequate transportation of the bottles was difficult given the isolated proximity of the town to any railways. Closest shipping points were over 20 miles away. His first furnace burned, and was rebuilt at a different location, and the financial woes continued. Over the next eight years, Foster struggled to make ends meet, and eventually sold off his property and any operations. This would be the end of Joseph Foster’s glass factory in NH, however, his children would play a role in the industry in later years.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
That last pic of the bottom is the giveaway, it's a repro.

But it might still have considerable value even still, as the repro market is getting better and better.

mikepietrello

Reaction score
Thanks Old Timer,Eric and everyone else
It's good to know for sure, I only gave the guy 3 bucks for it so no harm done. there were some other nice ones in the box to but I believe very common.
Thanks so much,
Mike

amblypygi

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Eric's right and that's a Pairpoint reproduction. I have one with the Pairpoint label on the base that is a similar color (deep amethyst) but it has the grasshopper on one side. The urn side of mine is identical to yours. You got a great deal on it though: it's worth at least ten times what you paid for it. I say that with absolute authority too, because I'll send you a check for $30 for it anytime [:)]

Sean

mikepietrello

Reaction score
Thanks Sean but I think i'll hold on to this one for now.
I don't see a grasshopper on the side, but heres the side with the cornucopia

24CB4811D2894DB09FA51026ECEBD66B.jpg

Attachments

• 24CB4811D2894DB09FA51026ECEBD66B.jpg
    24CB4811D2894DB09FA51026ECEBD66B.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 93

amblypygi

Reaction score
You're wise to hang onto it; the high quality repros will continue to go up in value, especially those blown at Clevenger Brothers and Pairpoint. I mis-spoke earlier, my grashopper flask has the cornucopia on the side, not the urn. It still looks very similar to yours and I'll bet it's pairpoint.

Sean

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I don't feel like typing the whole thing but the book stated that half the mold was also used on a Sturbridge Village adaptation. Pairpoint may have mix and matched a bunch of varieties from different molds..

amblypygi

Reaction score
That explains it, the cornucopia on mine appears to be the same mold and my grasshopper is the Sturbridge Village adaptation. You can see the true color in the lower left background, it's very difficult to capture.

15CBF6929B6049C9AB314F3CD9C45799.jpg

Attachments

• 15CBF6929B6049C9AB314F3CD9C45799.jpg
    15CBF6929B6049C9AB314F3CD9C45799.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 92

Brains

Reaction score
if those repros are from 1959 or so than they are nice in my opinion. One of my favorite insulators is as new as 1958, same age as the repros so it's all old so it's all good.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229