Old Ink Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jason

Reaction score
What kind of ink bottle is this? It's nice and crude and full of seed bubbles. Has what feels like sand stuck in the glass on the shoulder. The seam stops at the finish on the neck. 1890s? I wasn't able to find any pictures on the internet like it.
20150618_174537.jpg
dbbs3DYil5yDnODMEWd5l-vSlfuZNkTPyEz1lmqGCMo=w908-h511

Jason

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I've never seen this one either. I'll keep asking around. It wouldn't surprise me if it was British.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
So I also like it. My Grandmother suppotted my bottle colecting inyerest and gave me a lot of my early meds and inks. Yours looks like a good one. Is there a pontil. mark on the bottle? RED M.

sunrunner

Reaction score
ok I collect ink among other types of bottles and even have a few British inks , I have never seen this one before . It may be European . Its tall of an American ink 1860s or 70s am guessing.

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Because I've been digging a bunch of inks lately, I have had my nose in the ink book. I looked in Covill's ink book and found 2 that look similar to yours in shape & size & age with seed bubbles. They are minus the diamond shape corners and odd shoulder design but seem to be unusually tall like yours, measuring just shy of 4" tall. Covill lists them as Chinese from the 1860's. This could explain the seed bubbles, not common in American inks, as well as the unusual shape and size of yours. Another thought is, it could be something entirely different and was "repurposed" for ink. Bluing was real common around here to be put in any used bottle, and recently I dug a couple cologne bottles with ink residue inside. My bet is on the Chinese ink idea. HTH Jack

saratogadriver

Reaction score
cannibalfromhannibal said:
Because I've been digging a bunch of inks lately, I have had my nose in the ink book. I looked in Covill's ink book and found 2 that look similar to yours in shape & size & age with seed bubbles. They are minus the diamond shape corners and odd shoulder design but seem to be unusually tall like yours, measuring just shy of 4" tall. Covill lists them as Chinese from the 1860's. This could explain the seed bubbles, not common in American inks, as well as the unusual shape and size of yours. Another thought is, it could be something entirely different and was "repurposed" for ink. Bluing was real common around here to be put in any used bottle, and recently I dug a couple cologne bottles with ink residue inside. My bet is on the Chinese ink idea. HTH Jack
The beveled corners are definitely what makes this unique. I would agree that the sizing is more consistent with some inks that I have seen with Chinese or Asian characters on them. So the "Chinese" ink connection seems to me to make some sense. It's definitely different. Jim G

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter