On target. Finding a target ball.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey Wayne. This is not a joke. I will take you right to the spot if you want to try it. (We probably have about 25 tanks in since I found the last one. None have been found since and it is not a big search area.) If you do decide to come, bring some tasty local finds!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Thanks Doug,
I suppose that my odds of hitting it big we're greatly increased by the fact that I knew almost exactly where they were. There was a little bluff along the shoreline where the shooters must have been standing. I also got a little lucky on my landing zone theory. It still is amazing, though.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey Bob...

Great story and nice balls...

I don't think we have much of a chance of finding target balls around here. They probably shot at other things for target practice up here, like... target lobster!!!

Wayne

Hey Wayne,
We don't find those honking lobsters around here. I'm jealous too. We've got cute little crayfish and also a few turtles now and then. Here's my buddy Jim holding a painted turtle. We removed several leaches from his legs then released him.

208412515EF9415B916281D38A2F2D44.jpg

Attachments

• 208412515EF9415B916281D38A2F2D44.jpg
    208412515EF9415B916281D38A2F2D44.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 62

Just Dig it

Reaction score
Congratulations on a great find = ) If i found one i would make it a sweet acrylic light box encased in steel and four feet of concrete with rebar outside of that. but seriously all jokes aside thats a beauty it must be great to be able to just go dive and escape the dirt ...keep up the good work. Eric

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Thanks Eric!
It was really fun to find it. Oddly enough, we still haven't escaped the dirt and mud because we just end up crawling through it on the bottom of the lakes or rivers. I have a great picture of one of my buddies covered in weeds and mud that I'll search out. I haven't built any display box for it. That's on my "get round to it someday" list.

appliedlips

Reaction score
Good story Bob. That is a very nice ball,too bad they were good enough shots to break the others.I wrote one about my son & his friend for Ralph's magazine back in 06.Unfortunately the target ball we wrote about was in pieces.I will try to post the story sometime.

They are hard to dig intact,I have only dug one in a privy and got another from someone that dug it in a dump.I wonder if the guys in the West dig them?

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I'd love to read your story appliedlips. (BTW - What magazine is Ralphs?) As far as digging them, I'm surprised you found any pieces at all. It must have broken and then dicarded as household debris?

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: appliedlips

They are hard to dig intact,I have only dug one in a privy and got another from someone that dug it in a dump.I wonder if the guys in the West dig them?

Yep, we sure do. I was involved in a dig that produced a couple that went for $10K each, a few years back. Both were 1870s San Francisco made balls, embossed with the manufacturer's name.

glass man

Reaction score
GREAT COLORED TARGET BALL! I HAVE WANTED ONE FOR AWHILE AND STILL KICK MYSELF FOR NOT BUYING ONE WHEN I HAD THE MONEY,BUT PUT IT OFF TILL I COULD GET ONE CHEAP! GOOD LUCK TO ME ON THAT ONE! GREAT STORY TOO!! JAMIE

appliedlips

Reaction score
Mike, I had a feeling there would be more found out your way.I think I remember seeing one of the balls you mentioned in the Alex Kerr collection.

Bob, After looking over your article I realized ON TARGET was the title of the story.Ralph Finch,a writer & editor for Antique Bottles & Glass,writes and publishes his own magazine devoted to target balls.It is called ON TARGET.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause