ON VOTING

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CJCrystalmines

Reaction score
Hi Gonedigginginwa,
Welcome to the forum! It's nice to see a new member on here from Washington. Do you still reside in Washington? If so, I would like to invite you to our state bottle club that meets the 2nd Friday of the month www.wbcaweb.org. December 12th will be our Christmas party with lots of food.
I have dug in Walla Walla myself several times. I have gotten several nice pharmacy bottles from there. My favorite was the M. Ryan & Co. Druggist. During the springtime I had the opportunity to meet and dig with Cordilleran (James). I got a chance to talk briefly with him the other night. I am planning on a trip over there in the next few weeks to do some digging with him and try out his ground penetrating radar.

gonediggininwa

Reaction score
Thanks for the invite the where are your bottle club meetings at? The M. Ryan & Co. was that a W.T. or Wash.

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwFiqtiII5w

Found this link on railroad.net - ok - so this is what it's like at my house.... so this is what they're doing.[8|] Do we seem as odd to people as this seems to me? Talked to a friend of mine about this yesterday and he has a bottledigging trainwatching friend. If I ever go digging with this guy, maybe I'll get some questions answered.

glass man

Reaction score
I HAVE AN UNDEVELOPED PICTURE SOMEWHERE IN THIS HOUSE [BAD BOUT NEVER GETTING PICTURES DEVELPED] OF ME SITTING ON THE EDGE UF DUANE ALLMAN'S GRAVE AND RIGHT NEXT TO BARRY OAKLY'S GRAVE FACING THE TRACKS THAT ARE BOUT 100 YARDS AWAY [MACON,GA.] ,THE GROUND SLOPES RIGHT DOWN TO THE TRACKS WITH NO OTHER GRAVES OR ANYTHING IN THE WAY PEACEFUL,MAN,PEACEFUL!THIS GRAVEYARD IS CALLED ROSEHILL AND IT IS WHERE THE BROS. USED TO GO LATE A NIGHT WITH RIPPLE WINE,POT, AND GUITARS AND PLAY.MAN I WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN THERE!THIS WAS 69 RIGHT BEFORE THEY GOT BIG. I CAN'T HELP ,BUT BELIEVE THIS IS WHERE DUANE AND BARRY ARE BURIED,RIGHT WHERE THEY USED TO PLAY LONG AGO.SWEET MELISSA"FREIGHT TRAIN EACH CAR LOOKS THE SAME ALL THE SAME....."IF YOU LOVE THE BRO.,TRAINS ,MACON,GA, IT WILL BE WORTH YOU WHILE TO GO TO ROSEHILL CEMETARY TO CHECK OUT DUANE AND BARRY'S GRAVE,MOST PEACE FULL! WILL HAVE TO ASK AROUND ON HOW TO FIND THEM THOUGH AS THEY AIN'T NO ARROWS SHOWS THE WAY. ALSO ELIZABETH REED IS BURIED HERE SOMEWHERE,DICKEY WROTE A SONG BOUT HER. I COULDN'T FIND IT! JAMIE

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello, Well I have enjoyed all your train stories. So, it seemed appropriate to tell you mine.

Our house was on a little 16 acre farm by the side of the Lehigh Valley RR. in upstate New York. It was up the hill about a quarter mile and ran along my dads vineyard. I always enjoyed the trains, the workers, and especially their little motor cars.
When I was big enough, my and I would walk along the tracks in the spring to pick wild strawberries, wild asparagus later and big wild black berries still later in the summer. I learned that all of these things grew better from the smoke ashes that dropped out along the right of way. Especially the asparagus. We would always carry an old rag and tear it in strips about 3/4" wide and 10 or 12" long. When we found some plants we would tie a strip of the cloth on a twig or the fence along the railroad. Then if there were any new sprouts 4 to 10" high we would harvest them, by cutting and carried a bucket to put them in. If you have never eaten wild asparagus, you wouldn't know it - but it has more flavor than any domestic asparagus. As I got older we would both carry buckets and when we got home we would can all the extra above what we needed for a meal.

The wild strawberries are the best and we found both red and yellow ones. We had to keep the separate or separate them when we hulled them.
The wild black berries were bigger that you could find anywhere else - and good!

A bi-product of all this was - I started getting infatuated with glass bottles I picked up and on the side of the RR where the telephone lines ran - I started picking up and bringing home the discarded telephone glass insulators. Both just adding to my interest in glass which started when I was seven years old.

I even got to ride on a workman's motor car one time and I got to ride in and engine twice in my youth. Memories that are priceless even if I was a poor farm boy.
RED Matthews

glass man

Reaction score
I AIN'T NO HUNTER AS I AM TOO TRIGGER HAPPY,A BAD HABIT, I COULD HAVE KILLED A FRIEND RIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES ,CAUSE I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS LOADED,GOT THE GUN FOR MY BIRTHDAY AND ASUMMED IT WAS NEW AND EMPTY BUT IT WAS USED AND HAD SHELLS IN IT.,ANY WAY IN THR EARLY 60'S I WALKED THE TRACKS FOR QUAIL AS CORN,WHEAT,WHATEVER FELL OFF ON THE SIDES OF THE TRACK.FOOD HEAVEN FOR THE QUAIL. EASY WALKING FOR ME CAUSE I DIDN'T HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE BRIERS,TANGLED UNDER GROWTH,WHAT EVER. MAN I SHOT AT A LOT OF QUIAL AND NEVER HIT ONE! CAUSE I GOT SO EXCITED I SHOT FROM THE HIP. HOW COULD I MISS TEN BIRDS CLUMPED TOGETHER! WELL I DID,MY POP SAID TO SLOW DOWN PICK OUT ONE BIRD AND FOLLOW IT AND THEN SHOOT,NEVER DID. BUT LOVED BEING IN THE COUNTRY. WONDER IF IT IS LEAGAL TO HUNT ON THE TRACKS? SAME WITH RABBITS ONE WOULD JUMP UP AND I WOULD SHOOT WAY TO FAST.I DON'T MESS WITH GUNS MUCH NOW,SINCE I ALMOST SHOOT MY FRIEND BETWEEN THE EYES. SOME LIKE ME JUST DON'T NEED A GUN. I GOT ONE I INHERIATED FROM MY DAD,BUT IT SETS AROUND WITH NO SHELLS IN IT.IT ISA COOL GUN A SALVAGE,410,PUMP. YES I LIKE GUNS, GREW UP WITH THEM,WENT SQUIRRL HUNTING AND GOT ONE WITH MY POP LOOKING ON,I WAS SO PROUD CAUSE I COULD SEE APROVAL IN HIS EYES! I KNOW HUNTING SOME CAN'T UNDERSTAND ,BUT A LOT OF US SOUTHERERS IT MEANT FOOD OR NO FOOD. JAMIE

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vladlitski