Paterson's only pontiled bottle...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: kungfufighter

Beautiful bottle, beautiful pontil scar but not "graphite."

http://www.historicbottles.com/bottleglossary.htm
My bad Jeff, that's what I meant and thanx for the correction...Jim[;)]

kungfufighter

Reaction score
No worries Jim - I knew it was a slip of the key but I do try to point this out whenever I see it so as not to further the myth...

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

pontiled Neer's

One sold in the Greer auction way back when, #1003. They have a photo but its not great. I havent seen any sell lately. It quite rare.
I have been on the hunt for one because I have an original unused label, but I didn't know there were examples that were old enough to be pontiled according to the patent dates on the label.....Here are a few pics Matt...

471096042.jpg

471096044.jpg

4710960443.jpg

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

The one in Greer is oval with rolled lip , 4" tall aqua. Looks typical of 1850s meds.
Do you have a link Matt? My label is much larger and meant for a rectangular bottle with a flat surface of at least 6 inches not counting the neck and lip, circa 1905....Jim

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I just have the printed Greer catalog.

That medicine was advertised well into the 20th century so there were many later ones although I dont think I have seen a later embossed one. Slicks with a label maybe.

It may have been an early medicine which was 'resurrected'. This often happened via descendants who wanted to make a buck. It would be nice to see a circa 1850s ad for it, would probably answer a few questions.

Early "patent" medicines were not always patented because registering a patent required giving up some info about the product which could be used by competitors. More often they were just trade marked.

epackage

Reaction score
I'm torn because I would love to have a slick the right size to apply a copy of the label too, I don't want to use this lithographed example because it's as perfect as perfect gets but a copy of it for display on a bottle would be awesome. I need to find a similar thin paper of the same color so I can make a copy.

Thanx for the heads up....Jim

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I'm not saying there isnt a later embossed Dr Neer bottle, I'm just saying I havent seen one..so far.

Jim

Reaction score
I can never get enough of that one, Jim. Just a killer bottle. ~Jim

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen