Pennsylvania (New Hanover) Members: Help, Please!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bearswede

Reaction score
Hi Guys...

I'm heavily into building my family tree on ancestors.com and could use some help. My great grandmother, Lena Reifsnyder, is buried in New Hanover Evangelical Lutheran Church Cemetery, New Hanover, PA. If anyone lives near there and could find the stone, I have no record of her maiden name or my grandfather's first name. Her dates are: 11/4/1847 to 5/15/1951. A note of interest: she was in attendance at Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.

Thanks in advance... Let me know if you need any further info...

Ron

bearswede

Reaction score
RE: Pennsylvania (Gilbertsville/Pottstown) Members: Help, Please!!!

Just did a little research myself... Not sure exactly what the deal is, but the cemetery is in Gilbertsville, just north of Pottstown... Not real sure where the "New Hanover" location came from...May have been some kind of misprint on the Funeral notice...

Ron

buzzkutt033

Reaction score

interesting. sounds like she lived to 103+.

about an hour drive for me, but much closer for
anyone living near York....

good luck on your endeavor,

jim

RedGinger

Reaction score

Bear, I'm interested in geneaology myself. Do you have to pay to join ancestry.com? What sites would you recommend? I'd love to hear some of your family's history.

bearswede

Reaction score

Do you have to pay to join ancestry.com?

Hi, Laur...

You can do a lot without having to pay... Then when you have exhausted the free stuff, you can get a free 2 weeks of the paid level (access to all kinds of records your ancestors are listed in)... After that, if you've got a block of time, you can pay for a month or two...something like $30/mo, I think... And really build your tree...

My ancestors were pretty much anonymous peasants like myself... altho I had an uncle who won postumous medals for taking out a Japanese pillbox on Iwo Jima in '44/'45...

Ron

bearswede

Reaction score
I got a hit on ancestors.com and filled in some info... I looks like my great grandfather's name was John S. Reifsnyder... He may have been a stonecutter in a marble yard... My grandmother's other sister was named Ida...

I still need Lena's maiden name... But I discovered that the NHELC has a FB page and I posted on their wall... I may have an answer soon...

Thanks all for looking...

Ron

bearswede

Reaction score
Just an update...

The person who had info for me from ancestry.com sent me copies of the actual census records... Got a few more details... My maternal grandmother was making cigars in Pottstown when she was twenty... Never knew it...

Also, the secretary at the church where my great grandmother is buried has agreed to take my inquiry to the Board to be researched... I think that's great, taking the time to help me out like that!

Ron

bearswede

Reaction score
Thanks, Tim... You, too!

My great grandparents on my father's side were born and died in Sweden... I'm sure if I could get back far enough on the Pennsylvania Deutsch side, the trail would lead to Germany, or at least to England... I think that's where the Germans who had been persecuted for their faith in Germany embarked from...

Ron

RedGinger

Reaction score
Hey Bear! I started my family tree on that site and already got a few leaves. It's pretty cool. There are other relatives, but I can't find out who they are or get access to certain info unless I pay. It's exciting, but a little frustrating. I already found one member who has my great grandfather's info listed. I was just excited and thought I'd give you an update. I have some basic info, but looks like I will have to have a membership to find out more info on my family tree.

ktbi

Reaction score
Laur/Ron...stick with it...very exciting to come up with new facts. I added two more generations to my family tree just last night and I'm a big-time Rookie at ancestor.com. I lived in Watford, England back in the early 80's for a couple of years - just north of London. Thomas Rogers, my Great-Great-etc. Grandfather was born there in 1571. I just found that last night. Pretty cool actually that I lived there too.......Ron

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28