Pepsi Cola hutch help

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Let's put it this way, I'm confident an Escambia Pepsi Cola hutch that's in absolute pristine mint condition would have no problem selling for at least $2,000. In my opinion, the bottle in question is worth at least $500 all day long! ~ * ~ As a side note, I'm curious about the dates for the Escambia hutch's. Most references say they were produced between about 1905 and 1910, which is probably close enough for general interest. But if these two ads are any sort of a gauge, and they reflect the bottles being sold by Escambia at the time, then it appears they were using straight side bottles by 1908. Of course the ads probably came from the parent company, but it would strike me as odd if Escambia was advertising straight-sided bottles with paper labels in 1908 and not selling them as well. 1. The Pensacola Journal ~ March 3, 1908 (Article with name and address) 2. The Pensacola Journal ~ September 8, 19083. The Pensacola Journal ~ September 25, 1908

Attachments

• 9cbaf840eeaa4879b8d7b550a2054a7d.jpg
    9cbaf840eeaa4879b8d7b550a2054a7d.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 78
  • ea4fa5d56dc348969cc95e52da2aa7ca.jpg
    ea4fa5d56dc348969cc95e52da2aa7ca.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 6e65251dd8964f088bb3b1609f0763a3.jpg
    6e65251dd8964f088bb3b1609f0763a3.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 85

iggyworf

Reaction score
You mean Pepsi bottles. You need money constantly at 16! Wait till you get my age. [:D] lolGood luck.

Bottleworm

Reaction score
Ok thanks! I will drive over there this weekend and see if it is still there and make an offer. I think I will offer $375 to begin with and I will hear what his response is. As for how long he has had it the last time I was at the antique mall over 2 months ago it wasn't there. He may have put it up after two days I was there or the morning before I got there. Soda Bob I am so grateful for people like you on this forum to help people and go so in depth! Thanks a bunch! Also thanks you too iggywolf!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Okey-dokey, but I'd play your "youth card" and offer $300. But don't tell him you want to resell it - just say you are a newbie collector and would really, really, really love to have the bottle for your collection. If you play your cards right you just might nab it for $300 ... stranger things have happened. Good luck and please keep us informed. Bob

MuddyMO

Reaction score
That is a cool hutch! Looks amethyst colored?

As a 25 year old, to a slightly younger guy (is that what I'm understanding?), I feel it necessary to address the initial question in a more appropriate and straightforward manner. Sounds worse than it is!

What I've come to understand is that you are unsure if purchasing the hutch is a wise decision, because you intend to profit off of the seller's final low price and off a future prospective buyer. That is namely 'investing', which is on a different plane from collecting. So, my two cents; realistically, collectibles are not a wise investment. Take into consideration all the variables, and what physically can not change. As a result of an item being made of glass, it has damage that can't be undone. Due to damage, a person's perception of condition-to-value is drawn. In this crucial state, salesmanship either surfaces, or the deal sinks. A person can live without a bottle (well, some of us!). There are, of course, special or highly profitable circumstances with collectibles.
A house, for instance, will have its own land if it is destroyed. It can be fixed up, torn down, used for a wicked cool bonfire, and rebuilt. It can be made into a monthly income. You can live in it. Yet, due to condition, location, and size, a perception of value can be deduced (and increased due to fixing, landscaping, upgrades, etc.), and the profit margin is increasingly higher than most anything else in this world.

Now, to buy the hutch because you truly enjoy it, is bottle collecting. Buying with the intention of making a marginal finder's fee, perpetuates the hobby. Keep in mind; helping others achieve what they want, is often reciprocated.

If you have $400 to risk, I'd imagine that learning salesmanship and demonstrating profit off of small investments could be a positive learning experience. Input in is equal to output out. Having heart in what you believe in can drive a sale outta the ballpark. On the other hand, a constant supply of money is easily remedied by a job...

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
You mentioned condition issues but don't take into account the heavy paint on the embossing. The lettering could be very chipped which will hurt the resale value.Just something else to think about.[light]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Bottleworm: I won't question your reasons for wanting to purchase the bottle except to say the $700 profit you hope to realize may not be realistic. But then again, who knows? It really depends on the overall condition. Below I have copy/pasted the condition of the bottle which are in your own words from various post you made ... Condition:
1. Has some chipping on lip and base and some case wear.
2. The condition is a chip on the base and a gouge out of the lip.
3. And some other little case wear.
4. The chip isn't bad but the gouge is an eye sore.

As I said a moment ago, it really depends on condition. The biggest hurdle I can see is what you describe on line 4. about the gouge being an eye sore. If in fact there is a major chunk missing on the lip, that's one thing. But if in reality it's no more than a chip or nick, then that's something else entirely. I wish we could see the gouge you are referring to because it does not appear to be evident in the one and only picture you posted of the bottle, which I have reposted again below. If the so called gouge isn't all that bad, then I'd say you're in the money.

~ * ~

Next up are the copy/pasted reasons you posted for wanting to purchase the bottle. As I said earlier, there is no way of knowing what the bottle might sell for on eBay until it's listed and sold. Again, it depends on the overall condition of the bottle.

Motivations:

1. I really wish it was a given that I could make $700 on it but that's not guaranteed.
2. I really want to buy this and make some money but the bad thing is $450 is a HUGE gamble!
3. I would like to keep it but at my young age (16) I don't think I could keep it as I need money constantly.

~ * ~

Lastly ...

The most recent example of an Escambia hutch I can find that sold on eBay is this one from June of 2014. Notice the bottle has it share if nicks and pings and also has some case ware. And yet it still sold for $1,725.88. Granted it doesn't have a gouge out of the lip - that's why I question whether the so called gouge is really that bad or if it might be considered as acceptable?

Also notice the eBay bottle had 41 bids. If you click on the bids icon you will see where this totals 14 different bidders. Because of the 14 different bidders, I do not think the interest generated and price realized for the bottle is a fluke.

Yes, it's a gamble as to how much the bottle in question is actually worth, but if the gouge in the lip isn't all that bad and it can be had for $300, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. After that I'd let the chips fall where they may. Please know I am only talking about what I would do and not what you should do.

Here's the link and basic info for the bottle that sold on eBay last June. It includes some great close up pictures ...

eBay June 17, 2014
41 Bids ~ 14 different bidders
Sold for $1,724.88

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111378498398?rmvSB=true

[ Attachment ]

Bottleworm's bottle ~ Gouge or Nick on the lip? That is the question!

(Likely the yellow paint is a form of white-out that can be easily removed)

Attachments

• f417b9e439ed46a494047b4821155e2d.jpg
    f417b9e439ed46a494047b4821155e2d.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 73

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Bottleworm: If you can negotiate the price down to $300 but decide not to purchase the bottle for yourself, I am prepared to offer you $350 for it. However, I would need to see a close up picture of the lip damage and any other defects before fully committing. I realize all of the back and forth visits to the seller just adds to the risk of it selling ahead of time, but I think its worth a shot anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson