Pepsi Cola hutch help

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MuddyMO

Reaction score
If you're set on what you're doing, skip the formalities and offer an even $100. The price is off anyways. I do this to gague a response and sense of knowledge on a bottle or insulator. A friendly conversation or relationship often follows! Buy low, sell high. Don't let my views or opinions sway your decision making, that is your own life! But, consider what others say.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
In order to see the prices realized for Escambia hutch's sold on eBay in past years, I joined WorthPoint for a period of one month. For starters is this example that sold on eBay on July 30, 2008. If you go to the site you will see where it is described as ... http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/pepsi-cola-hutchinson-blob-soda-bottle

This is a beautiful turn of the century Hutchinson Soda bottle. It reads,"ESCAMBIA PEPSI-COLA BOTTLING CO. PENSACOLA, FLA. "This bottle appears to NOT be a dug bottle. It's slight amethyst color is clear. It has one thumbnail sized chip in the blob, which has been professionally repaired; other than that, it is in excellent condition. The writing is very bold. The bottle is extra heavy and the glass is extra thick. It is an extremely rare, original bottle - not a reproduction.

It sold for $700.00

[ Attachments ]

1. Entire Bottle
2. Base
3. Blob Top - Showing what I believe is the repaired area (Half-moon pinkish color on top)

Attachments

• 6dde7f661e904bc1b5a936928099eb85.jpg
    6dde7f661e904bc1b5a936928099eb85.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 1477fe12cfae4253acfee99e24c77dd8.jpg
    1477fe12cfae4253acfee99e24c77dd8.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 95
  • fed0ad9d56a94b83a452c59b664b342d.jpg
    fed0ad9d56a94b83a452c59b664b342d.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 93

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
As time allows, I will add additional examples. Just wait until you see the one that sold in January of 2013 for ... $4,999.99

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's another repaired bottle ...

eBay May 26, 2014 ~ With neck cracks and repair ~ Sold for $569.99

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/escambia-bottling-company-pepsi-cola-520456650

This bottle is very clean. It has a couple of cracks from the top down into the neck. They do not extend into the shoulder, but the cracks do come together in the neck, near shoulder. Top has recently been professionally glued. Even with the damage to the top, it displays very nicely.

Attachments

• e733663840b5428e8ddcabe551e0f3c1.jpg
    e733663840b5428e8ddcabe551e0f3c1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 89

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
SODAPOPBOB said:
As time allows, I will add additional examples. Just wait until you see the one that sold in January of 2013 for ... $4,999.99
Sounds like a Sheik moment.[:D]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Cows: Here's the one that sold for $4,999.99. I Googled "QUINA" but all I could find is other items from the collection. I have not been able to determine who/what that refers to. Maybe it's the sheik you mentioned. ???

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/pepsi-cola-hutchinson-pepsi-bottle-408300231

RARE PEPSI:COLA HUTCHINSON PEPSI BOTTLE GREAT CONDITION WITH TOP STILL INSIDE Item is one of many from the QUINA Million Dollar Coca Cola Collection.... Rare PEPSI:COLA HUTCHINSON BOTTLE Front of Bottle Embossed and In Script ESCAMBIA PEPSI:COLA BOTTLING CO. PENSACOLA, FLA. THIS BOTTLE HAS THE TWO DOTS BETWEEN PEPSI :COLA This item is in Great Used Condition You are bidding on a hard to find RARE PEPSI:COLA HUTCHINSON BOTTLE from the PEPSI COLA BOTTLING COMPANY Outstanding Item Really Good - Great Condition Super Item Indeed! Great Pepsi Cola Collectible!

Attachments

• 488fe852662a4413afe9ed4bf88e8899.jpg
    488fe852662a4413afe9ed4bf88e8899.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 81

hemihampton

Reaction score
MuddyMO said:
If you're set on what you're doing, skip the formalities and offer an even $100. The price is off anyways. I do this to gague a response and sense of knowledge on a bottle or insulator. A friendly conversation or relationship often follows! Buy low, sell high. Don't let my views or opinions sway your decision making, that is your own life! But, consider what others say.

Lowballing someone results in a Friendly conversation afterwards you say. Not from my experiance. LEON.

MuddyMO

Reaction score
hemihampton said:
Lowballing someone results in a Friendly conversation afterwards you say. Not from my experiance. LEON.

No no, taken out of context. A "lowball" is still a valid, yet often refused, offer. Not what I was suggesting.
More often so (in my life), a friendlyful conversation occurs. A junk shop owner may get some hard feelings riled up. A fellow collector might laugh, or they might let it go because they originally bought it for $3 and have a better one at home. Heck, I've been giving away stuff lately. Just to see that someone will enjoy it. You wouldn't believe the reaction I got when I gave someone a common unembossed torpedo.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Based on everything I've seen and been able to educate myself on regarding Escambia Pepsi Cola Hutchinson bottles, including the various prices they have been selling for in recent years, I am of the opinion the one in question here is priced right at $575.00. Even though I've never met an antique dealer that wasn't prepared to negotiate price, this doesn't mean the one involved here will discount the bottle to $300. In fact, I suspect his bottom line is $500, which I believe is spot-on the money as to the bottle's current value even though it has some defects. Speaking of which, certain defects can be professionally repaired. I realize the word 'repair' often creates a great deal of controversy, but the simple fact is, with certain high-demand bottles such as the Escambia's, they are being purchased even though they have been repaired. This doesn't mean a repaired bottle should remain undisclosed, because they should, with the repair described in detail. If a repair is done professionally they are often undetectable even to a trained eye. If you go back to post #32 you will see an example of a repaired Escambia that sold for $700 (and I have seen other examples as well). So even if there are those among us who come forward and say they disapprove of repaired bottles and would never buy one, there are just as many collectors who have no problem with it, especially collectors of high-end, high dollar bottles. As for myself, if I were a serious Pepsi Cola collector but could not afford a near mint Escambia in the $2,000 price range (which is what a near mint example is going for these days), I could easily see myself purchasing a repaired near mint example for under $1,000.

It is not my intent to open a debate on repairing a bottle valued under $1,000, which I feel would be a bad investment for a bottle in that price range, but I personally have no problem whatsoever with a repaired bottle that would fall into the $2,000+ price range if not repaired. I know of only a handful of collectors who consistently purchase soda bottles for $500 or more, and the collectors I know of in that category can be counted on one hand. Hence, its easy for some collectors, whose price limit for a soda bottle might be around $100, to say they would never purchase a repaired bottle. The things is, not everyone who purchases high end bottles, whether repaired or not, plans to resell them. Often they are kept until a better example comes along. However, based on the numerous Escambia's I've seen, it's getting harder and harder to find one that doesn't have a certain amount of damage. As a consequence, certain collectors are prepared to pay for repaired bottles just to have one for display.

The following is to emphasize my point about certain repaired bottles being acceptable to collectors. I highlighted the words 'repaired' after copy/pasting the descriptions. They are just two of many examples I've seen of high demand, repaired bottles selling for top dollar.

~ * ~

Coca Cola Hutchinson ~ Repaired ~ Sold on eBay in 2008 for $1,995

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/coca-cola-hutchinson-bottle-rare++++-1890s-property

Description:

OKAY IT IS!!!! THIS IS AN ORIGINAL COCA COLA HUTCHINSON BOTTLE!!! THESE BOTTLES ARE VERY RARE AND THIS VERSION IS ONE OF THE MOST SOUGHT AFTER!!! THIS BOTTLE IS LIGHT GREEN IN COLOR AND THE EMBOSSING IS VERY STRONG AND THE BOTTLE DISPLAYS GREAT!!!! YOU CAN SEE IN THE PICTURES THE BOTTLE HAD A SMALL REPAIR IN THE LIP AND AT THE BASE... THE "PROPERTY OF" SHOWS THE COCA COLA SCRIPT RIGHT IN THE CENTER OF THE BOTTLE,, THIS BOTTLE IS SUPER RARE AND IS LISTED FOR $3500.00 IN THE COCA COLA PETRETTI'S PRICE GUIDE.. THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO OWN THE ORIGINAL FIRST COCA COLA BOTTLE AND THE RESERVE IS WAY BELOW BOOK!!! GOOD LUCK AND ASK ANY QUESTIONS!!!!

~ * ~

Three Dr. Pepper Bottles ~ Two of which have been repaired ~ Sold on eBay in 2008 for $1,376

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/collection-of-dr-pepper-hutchinson-blob-soda

Description:

THIS COLLECTION OF DR. PEPPER SODA BOTTLES IS EXTREMELY RARE. THEY ARE ALL SHOWN IN A BOOK TITLED," DR. PEPPER COLLECTIBLE BOTTLES ". BOTTLE ON LEFT READS,"ARTESIAN MFG. & BOTTLING CO. WACO, TEX.". IT IS VERY RARE IN THE BALTIMORE LOOP SMALL MOUTHED STYLE. THE CONDITION IS DUG, CLEANED AND IT HAS A THUMB NAIL SIZED CHIP, WHICH HAS BEEN REPAIRED IN THE BLOB. MIDDLE BOTTLE IS IN THE LATE HUTCHINSON STYLE. IT READS,"EMBOSSED C & O ROCK ISLAND, ILL." ON ONE SIDE.THE OPPOSITE SIDE HAS AN ORIGINAL DR. PEPPER KING OF BEVERAGES LABEL APPLIED, WHICH READS" CARSE & OHLWEILER CO. ROCK ISLAND, ILL." THIS BOTTLE IS IN VERY NICE, USED CONDITION WITH NO CHIPS, PECKS, CRACKS OR REPAIRS. IT WAS, OBVIOUSLY, NEVER BURIED. THE BOTTLE ON THE RIGHT IS THE STANDARD THEIF BOTTLE FROM WACO, TEXAS. IT IS THE TALL VERSION, DARK TEAL IN COLOR, WITH MONTEREY EMBOSSED ON FRONT NEAR BOTTOM. THE TOP RING OF THE CROWN TOP HAS BEEN REPLACED.

Long story short ...

The only reason I even mention repaired bottles is because if I were to acquire the one in question for $300, I would have it professionally repaired and probably keep it. I already contacted a professional, who I sent a picture of the bottle to, and even without seeing the full extant of the defects, he assured me he could restore it to near mint condition for about $200. Hence, the end result would be an investment of $500 for a repaired, high demand bottle that I am confident would increase it's value to somewhere between $800-$1,000, and possibly even more to the right collector who doesn't want to pay $2,000+ for one. I encourage others to do their own research if they doubt my claims about certain repaired bottles being acceptable and sellable.

iggyworf

Reaction score
I'll tend to agree with what Bob is saying also. Everybody is different in there tastes. I hope bottleworm lets us know any info about the situation, either way.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson