Perfection Brand blob top Maple Syrup bottle from Ayer, MASS.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BARQS19

Reaction score
This is something I've had for a while, don't really care about it because I don't collect it. It has a piece of corn cob in the bottom of it, has a blob top, no seams, no glass maker marks. It has a paper label on it that says Perfection Brand Maple Syrup warranted strictly pure put up by Whitcher Pillman & Co. Boston Office 56 Chatham St. Ayer, MASS USA. If anyone of you collectors up north want it whoever emails me first can have it. I am trying to get rid of stuff and figured someone up there might appreciate it more. I would like to know how old it is though.

BARQS19

Reaction score
Here is the picture, the other wasnt' wanting to work.

Fc90109.jpg

Picture cropped - please see Help - Using the Forum ---> Uploading a Picture - Admin

Attachments

• Fc90109.jpg
    Fc90109.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 71

diginit

Reaction score
Howdy Robert,I got the Bottle yesterday.THANK YOU! Had to reinstall on another drive.Bad blocks,losing info. Two days from Mississippi to Calif.Sure am glad you put it in a big box! half of the box was crushed 3". Nice packing the bottle's safe![sm=lol.gif]I love it! I've searched 8 engines and e-mailed the boston Libraries 24/7 service 3 days ago. still awaiting a reply. I would like to know the date also.Let's ask the experts here to help again....HELLLP! There are no sign of seams at all. Even in bright light. If it was spun in mould,wouldn,t there be some visable seam? It has a series of rings around it,and what seems like a rounded tapered lip.1847-1920.(blob top)

Fd93350.jpg

Attachments

• Fd93350.jpg
    Fd93350.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 75

BARQS19

Reaction score
Hey that's great I'm glad you love it. I hate sending anything through the mail because it seems by putting the words FRAGILE on it means throw it and crush it. In all of my bottle doings through the mail, I've only had one break, or that's what they said.
Robert

woody

Reaction score
Hmmmm........... something doesn't look right with that bottle label.
It looks like a wine bottle but the contents were supposedly maple syrup?
I think the label was an afterthought.
Why would they put maple syrup in a wine bottle????
Turn mold, with no seams, is a dead giveaway for alot of wine bottles.

BARQS19

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is back then companies were real bad about stealing each others bottles. The label is very old so it's not a fake.
Robert

diginit

Reaction score
Here's the kicker, The corn cobb inside the bottle was obviosly used for a cork for a long time. Must have been a very small Co. to use a corn cobb. Surplus bottles also,maybe. Hows that for a wild guess? Wouldn't it be ironic if this is the only one in existance?

BARQS19

Reaction score
Hey might be if none of the others survived. Now here's the thing, I don't collect anything this old, so I am asking all of you out there that collect bitters, medicine, cordials, etc etc. How often do you come across a bottle from the 1800s with a paper label still on it?? I had talked about a Barq's cordial in a earlier post, and I am thinking that the only way to come by one is if it had a paper label. Do you think I may have a chance?
Robert

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvergatal