Perry Davis Vegetable Painkiller

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

seeker

Reaction score
Hi expert bottle diggers,

I was wondering if anyone knows what country that the Perry Davis Vegetable Painkiller bottle was manufactured in. I'm thinking the US, but not 100% sure. I know it was made between 1880-1920 but if anyone could tell me the country that would be great. Also it has an applied lip, am i right in assuming that it would date prior to the early 1890s if it is indeed a US manufacturer.
Would greatly appreciate some help
Thanks,
the Seeker!

David E

Reaction score
That's a tough one as it went to another country and my book dosen't indicate if it was exported from US or made also in that country.
PERRY DAVIS (1791TO 1862) DEVELOP[ED HIS FORMULA, in Massachuusetts in 1840 or slightly earlier and moved to
Providence RI., in 1843. Bottles first embosed ca. 1843. In
1862 son Edmond assumed the business and the company expanded operations; agencies were located in many countries. Edmond died in 1895, company sold ca 1895 Davis And Lawrence Co. Montreal and New York.
Hamilton Ontario.
Aqua 4 5/8"x 1 1/2"x 3/4"

Several Sizes were available advertised 1984 in similar varients
embosed threaded for a period of tme after passage of the 1906 act, the product was billed as a liniment.

Dave

seeker

Reaction score
Dave,
That was really informative, I'd like to thank you for looking it up for me[:)]. They have been found all over New Zealand, Australia and the Torres Strait and I believe they were imported in to these countries. Whether or not other manufacturing companies were established outside the US is, I guess, a mystery I'll have to plunge into further but you've given me a great start. I wonder if in 1895, when the company sold, whether the bottle was changed at all by the new manufacturers. I wonder this as the site I'm looking at dates from 1900 to 1910, and may give me an indication on how long the bottle was used/reused or circulated as a commodity among the islands in the Torres Strait. [8|]. Thanks again,
Seeker.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229