Photographing Hawaiian bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

stinger haut

Reaction score
Eh Brudda Ricky,
Talk story dakine fo reel, yeah? You stay live Hilo dats dakine. I no can dig em, so if no can, no can, I stay buy em with da kala.
Howsit Ricky, its nice to talk story with one local once in awhile through our mikinis on the internet.
I can't dig anymore due to an RPG downed my chopper way back in 68 in Nam. The injuries finally caught up with me, now I rely on others to help me with collecting bottles.
I just started to collect Hawaiian bottles again. Hilo bottles numba one with me, but also collect any of the older sodas from any island. I just came across an embossed Camalieson Dairy & Poultry Farm/ Hilo quart size and some embossed pints from a few of the other islands.
Hey mahalo for your input of Excelsior Soda. That one was one big mess when I received it. Lucky that it came out so good.
Your bottle collection looks good and I personally agree about the way your lighting showing off the embossing mo betta. Your picture taking set up looks like you did a little thinking ahead of time(you no one pukahead), looks good and the pictures prove it.
Hey, you know Bruce Omori. He stay live in Hilo again. He is a professional when it comes to taking pictures.
If you have any Hilo soda bottles or milks that you want to sell, let me know.
Mahalo,
Pono

acls

Reaction score
Are any of you Hawaiian bottle collectors familiar with a green glass SPIFFY brand acl bottle? I have been looking to add one to my collection.

Kudos on the bottle photography. Embossed bottles are always a challenge to accurately capture in a photograph. Your pics look amazing.

stinger haut

Reaction score
Hey acls,
Sorry, but I don't know anyone that would have that one. I'll keep my eyes and ears open.
Thank you for your encouraging words about our pictures. I think Ricky has really done his homework and has come up with a sure fire way of shooting bottles. I haven't yet, I just shoot from the seat of my pants.
Stinger

HawaiiGlass4me

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: acls

Are any of you Hawaiian bottle collectors familiar with a green glass SPIFFY brand acl bottle? I have been looking to add one to my collection.

Kudos on the bottle photography. Embossed bottles are always a challenge to accurately capture in a photograph. Your pics look amazing.

Hi acls

The Hilo Spiffy bottle is one of the hardest local bottles to find. A good mint one goes for $500+. I just upgraded mines earlier this year with a nicer one, it's still not a mint one but I'm still looking for one. The other one I had was missing 20% of the painted label. The one I currently have is still missing about 5% of the paint. The paint on this bottle is really fragile and is prone to chipping. I have seen only one other for sale in the last 3 years and it was missing about 30% of the label. I still paid $200 for my current Spiffy, I sold the other one that I had for $150 to another local collector.

Regards,
Rick

Here's a pic of my current Spiffy. You can see the missing paint on the left side of the label.

Spiffy_4735c.jpg

HawaiiGlass4me

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: capsoda

Hey Guys, I understood every word. [;)] Was lucky enough to spend a little time there with the Air Force in the late seventies. Took the long road to southeast Asia.
Worked with a guy from from the big island in Denver for a while too.

Aloha Warren

So you was stationed at da Hickam AF base then. You shudda gone diggin in da moutains at that time. You wudda found some awsome kine bottles back then. Now it stay mo hard to find da good stuff.

Laterz,
Rick

HawaiiGlass4me

Reaction score
Hey Brudda Pono

Eh Brudda Ricky,
Talk story dakine fo reel, yeah? You stay live Hilo dats dakine. I no can dig em, so if no can, no can, I stay buy em with da kala.
Howsit Ricky, its nice to talk story with one local once in awhile through our mikinis on the internet.
I can't dig anymore due to an RPG downed my chopper way back in 68 in Nam. The injuries finally caught up with me, now I rely on others to help me with collecting bottles.
Bummers about da injuries, I miss my digging days too. We have a forum for big island bottle collectors. It's free to join, all you gotta do is register. Also feel free to post pics of your collection in the gallery.I am planning to put on a bottle/collectibles show early next year. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Big_Island_Bottle_Collectors/

I just started to collect Hawaiian bottles again. Hilo bottles numba one with me, but also collect any of the older sodas from any island. I just came across an embossed Camalieson Dairy & Poultry Farm/ Hilo quart size and some embossed pints from a few of the other islands.
Hey mahalo for your input of Excelsior Soda. That one was one big mess when I received it. Lucky that it came out so good.
Your bottle collection looks good and I personally agree about the way your lighting showing off the embossing mo betta. Your picture taking set up looks like you did a little thinking ahead of time(you no one pukahead), looks good and the pictures prove it.
[/align] Where are you buying your bottles? I buying mine from Mid Pacific (Richard), Allan's Collectibles, and Glass from the Past in Honomu.

Hey, you know Bruce Omori. He stay live in Hilo again. He is a professional when it comes to taking pictures.
[/align] Yeah, I know Bruce. I just met him about two months ago. He's a real nice guy. He does a lot of surfing photography and some sports photography. I also do some freelance photography.[/align]
If you have any Hilo soda bottles or milks that you want to sell, let me know.
[/align] [/align] What bottles are you looking for? I have a few extras in storage. Let me know and I will check for you.[/align] [/align] Mahalo,[/align] Rick[/align]

stinger haut

Reaction score
Howsit Rick,
Hey mahalo for all information on collecting. I joined the Hilo club.
Yeah Bruce takes surfing pictures thats how we met, I can still surf even with my bad back, but thats about all I can do.
I've been collecting Hawaiian bottles from any where or chance I get (even Ebay, which is not a numba one choice). So Mahalo for your connections for local bottles. I'll post a want email on the clubs forum. I'll email about what you might have in storage.
Pono

capsoda

Reaction score
Yeah I shudda gone down diggin ba da kepp ma howlie but some more close to da base some more daily daily. I had a blast while I was there and the pepole sounded alot like Cajuns so they were alittle shocked that a mainlander could keep up.

A SSGT Kippy was trying to teach me to speak Hawaiian but I didn't make it. Tougher than Koriean of Viet.

stinger haut

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I shot this picture of a pontiled cobalt Smith soda that is super whittled.
This about the best I could get do to try and show the bottle's color and crudity.
I live in a place that averages about 220 inches of rain a year and I own a Plantation style home that blocks natural light. So, natural light is out when it comes to shooting bottles.
Any sugguestions on a better way to shoot bottle pictures?
Stinger

8B737013FBA1429692F8AEF5EA95FDE8.jpg

Attachments

• 8B737013FBA1429692F8AEF5EA95FDE8.jpg
    8B737013FBA1429692F8AEF5EA95FDE8.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 88

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members