Photographing Hawaiian bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

stinger haut

Reaction score
Hey Diggerjeff,
You commented that you use a painter's quartz light with frosted lens. You said that this was for taking frontal shots of bottles and it elimanites frontal glare.
Would it possible for you to post a picture using this format?
Also, would you explain what is a painter's quartz light with frosted lens and where could you find one?
Stinger

HawaiiGlass4me

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: stinger haut

Hey Diggerjeff,
You commented that you use a painter's quartz light with frosted lens. You said that this was for taking frontal shots of bottles and it elimanites frontal glare.
Would it possible for you to post a picture using this format?
Also, would you explain what is a painter's quartz light with frosted lens and where could you find one?
Stinger

Hey Pono

I think you can find the painter's quartz light at Sears or Home Depot. It looks like the standard portable halogen lamp.

hope the pic comes out ok
546313.gif

check out the following link
http://hectorshardware.com/546313.html

HawaiiGlass4me

Reaction score
Hey there again Pono

I think you can use the standard single halogen lamp and just buy the frosted glass at Alumside or another glass shop here in Hilo. Let me know how it works out when you are finished.

stinger haut

Reaction score
Howsit Rick,
Hey, thanks for the two posts about the lights. I am having the hardest time shooting amber, dark olive, dark red amber and yellow bottles. Now, I know what lights to buy.
I just want to shoot these bottles to sell or trade them. Then I am home free with picture taking because I'll be shooting clear, aqua and other lighter colored bottles for our collection. Your simple set up that you posted earlier works great for what are and will be collecting.
Anything happening with your light box?
Weather has been muggy and the vog.
Pono

HawaiiGlass4me

Reaction score
Wassup Pono

Yeah, the vog has been kinda thick lately, it cleared up a little today. [:D]

I have not started the construction of my new photo box yet. I got a rough sketch of what I want it to look like and I started to buy my materials over the weekend. Still need to buy more stuff for it before I start construction.

Nag, nag, nag...... The wife is still nagging me to finish her book shelves that I promised 2 years ago. I need to decide which is more important. [8|]

stinger haut

Reaction score
Howsit Rick,
I still haven't gone and checked the lights. Surfs up, so been out in the water.
2 years, no shelves, that a pretty good record.
You have to show me this light box when its ready. I would buy one now from you if they were ready.
Pono

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Hi Rick and Pono,

You guys were discussing building a photo lightbox for taking pictures of bottles. A while back I came across these plans and built one for my own use. Haven't had time to play around with it much but possibilities seem endless. Very easy and inexpensive to build. You can use any type/number of lights and any background you want (as long as you have a good photo editing program) if you just fit the frame together instead of glueing it as he suggests, you can adjust it to any size you want. I made a bottom (so it is like a box frame} which makes it sturdy and I can take it apart as much as I wish to take it anywhere I want. Here's the link for the plans I hope.

Cliff

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Here's a picture of my friend Paul's favorite master ink. Just quick set up, used white sheet for background and couple gooseneck lamps with small spot type lamps for a light source. Didn't turn out too bad. I'm sure could do a lot better if I wanted to play around more but this was just a test.

Cliff

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause