Pickle Jar?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Nicole

Reaction score
Hello, I am after some information about an old jar I believe may be an old pickle jar...

It is my Grandmother's bottle/jar and she says she thinks it was either her grandmothers or great grand mothers (she is in her 70's). It does not look like a particularly special jar, however because it has been in the family so long it is to me. I have attached a small photo but it is not very good quality as it was taken by my mobile phone camera. It was taken a while ago and I can now take more with a digital camera if it would help. It has 'Made by Vulcan Glass Works Sydney' in raised letters on the base of the jar and 'This bottle always remains the property of Holbrooks limited' written again in raised text around the body at the bottom. It has no other markings. It has a 'mold line' ring around the bottom of the body under the text and two up the body which end half way up the lip, about an inch from the top of the lip. The glass seems to be quite uneven in thickness although is very thick all round. My grandmother believes it had a cork seal however this may not be correct. It is 215mm total hight, 140 across at the base and 90mm across at the opening. I am hoping you may be able to help me find some general information such as establishing what it would have been used for and an approximate date. I have tried searching on the internet however have not had any luck. I have had some advise that it dates from mid to end of the 19th centrury.

Any information would be appreciated!
Thank you
Nicole
South Australia

Sq46534.jpg

Attachments

• Sq46534.jpg
    Sq46534.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 65

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Shooting in the dark here but...
Vinegar Brewery (founded in 1798) the oldest in the county and the only business in operation since the early days of Stourport. The Brewery was originally connected with the families of Hicken Bold and James Swann. The Company became Holbrooks Ltd. In 1900, and later Sarson's as it is still known, becoming more recently part of British Vinegar and Nestles or turn right and walk in front of The Tontine.
Holbrooks is one of the common worstershire sauces and maybe other foods like mustard? Nothing on the glass works from here. Maybe another collector from your area has something.

TROG

Reaction score
Hi Nichole,
It appears that your jar may have been used for holding pickles and looking at the neck opening and your description with a hand finished top would think that it dates from around 1910-1920 period.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorginaAc