Pint Lightning jar question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

coreya

Reaction score
jatgeezr nailed it I think, Did not think to check the repos but right there in the red book its listed 1/2 pint unembossed lightning style with glass lid & bail amber in color. Also seeing the picture of the lids top side the glass looks wrong. I am confused by the bail as it looks rusty but that would be an easy switch for someone who wants to deceive.

jaroadshow

Reaction score
Well jargeezr and coreya: You both couldn't be more wrong. You both obviously are extremely limited on your knowledge about old jars. The reproduction half pints in Redbook #11 are all smooth top not ground top as this one is and are embossed on the base. To quell your ignorance's, This jar came from a pick I did at the house / farm of an elderly lady who was a hoarder her entire life, but passed away recently and her son and daughter in law were selling off everything in the house to clear it out. And let me tell you she had a lot of old bottles and jars ( and everything else old ). Check the other posting under jars ( This section ) of the McCormick I.H.G. jar I posted. It would be extremely rare ( and old ! ) with most of the original label on it. I also bought quite a few other bottles and jars that are rare and a couple that are one of a kind bottles. This amber half pint jar is probably one of a kind. The only one I have seen in 45 years of digging and collecting. And I cannot find it in my Redbook #11 or anywhere else. Please enlighten me if you know of another old half pint in amber.This jar is all original and old. This is the original band and lid it came with. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. jaroadshow

jaroadshow

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the base of my amber half pint jar. jaroadshow

Attachments

• d165d333734a4e29b9d68e9ec42df3ac.jpg
    d165d333734a4e29b9d68e9ec42df3ac.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 80

jaroadshow

Reaction score
I have to say, I appreciate any input on an item myself or anyone else posts on a jar or bottle. I know I sound frustrated to say the least, I guess I just expect an educated, mature response when "someone" posts an "Authentic Antique" bottle or jar that is undeniably old and came from an old dump or has been sitting in an old farm house for the last 120 years. Thank You jaroadshow

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
That sounds logical. You can't find something newer than 120 years old in 120 year old house. Dam, when I die my family will be very disappointed. This place was built in the 1970's so nothing they find can be any older, right? [8|].

jargeezr

Reaction score
Please pardon my ignorance and lack of knowledge about old jars. I only have a couple of hundred Lightnings to reference, but this half pint might be a one of a kind experimental, test jar. Maybe not. The unmarked HP Lightning listed in the Redbook reproductions does not have base markings or lid markings. All regular mouth Lightning lids are marked with dates. In my uneducated, ignorant opinion the jar shown started as a smooth mouth with attempts to grind it. There are no legitimate Lightnings without at least 3 twists to the original neck tie. This one has a simple hook (like the reproduction one). I have 160 year old jars in my collection, but I also have 30 year old reproductions too. Please be open minded in your evaluation of our contributors who are here to learn and teach and most of all.....enjoy your jar.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Wow. I may as well chime in. I am thinking repro as well. The base is ground, the lip is smooth with a few areas ground, and the bottom of the lid is ground. I've seen this on several reproductions from the 1970's...some company that made reproductions of various bottles/jars had a propensity for grinding areas of the bottles they made. Looks just like the repro listed in the Redbook. Just because it is a repro doesn't mean it common or that it doesn't have any value. As was noted by jargeezr, we all need to keep an open mind...I am learning more every day! It isn't productive to insult the knowledge of other forum members...a simple "I disagree and here is why" would suffice. Reactions like the one above are why people are sometime reluctant to respond to inquiries on this forum!

jaroadshow

Reaction score
Wow... I am amazed that jar "experts" can't recognize a 120 year old jar.Authentic wear ( not ground ) on the base , ground top, 120 year old glass, original metal lightning closure, etc.....Glass full of bubbles, seed bubbles , etc. This jar came out of an old southern Ontario farm house fruit cellar, not an antique shop where you find the Chinese / India repro's. Thanks anyway............ jaroadshow

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1