Pomade help!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
Not sure if you've all been following the Shupps Grove pics, so I'm making a new post. Jamie (Glassman) has this bottle. The guy that was selling it told me it was a pomade bottle, but I was entranced by the Peach Puce Tibbits, so I didn't examine this bottle very well. He said he sold it to so-and-so years ago and now he has is again because he bought so-and-so's collection. Jamie has always been told it was an ink bottle. This one has a label that I cannot read at all in this pic, but I assume it's truly a pomade bottle since it has a label. Can anyone give more info on this? I've been trying to find something on the web and can find nothing at all. I know there are some true experts on here that can help solve this mystery. Thanks everyone! Sorry the pic isn't quite in focus!

2A61FA3EFFAD4756BB51766F652D149A.jpg

Attachments

• 2A61FA3EFFAD4756BB51766F652D149A.jpg
    2A61FA3EFFAD4756BB51766F652D149A.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 75

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
I often wonder a lot about what people used to smell like years ago.... I think we can only 1/2 imagine it... bear oil, beef marrow, jasmine, turpentine, lard, vaseline, coconut oil, geranium oil, egg whites.................

I was reading through this and thought it was pretty interesting.... but if you google pomades in the book section, you will find a lot of cool stuff!

http://books.google.com/books?id=c5oYAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA237&dq=pomade&hl=en&ei=5mpITJ_iOYL_8Aal78WuDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CFQQ6AEwBjge#v=onepage&q=pomade&f=false

kungfufighter

Reaction score
You will see bottles of this form with mucilage labels as well...

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
ORIGINAL: lobeycat

I hear the word Pomade and can't help but think of one of my all time favorite movies, O' Brother Where Art Thou!

579D3238AAA442198D6CB0D8E96914FA.jpg

"But I don't want FOP, dammit, I'm a Dapper Dan man!", Now young man, If you'd kindly watch your language, this is a public market...I can order you some Dapper Dan, but it'll take about two weeks, "Well now, isn't this place just a geographical oddity?,...Two weeks from anywhere!" [:D]

I just went from memory there, please forgive any inaccuracy....My alltime favorite too, Lobes, but Laur despises that movie...Maybe she just hasn't watched it enough yet like me,...(At least a dozen times[:)])

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: JOETHECROW

By the way Kate,...thats a heck of a nice little bottle.
m6.gif
It's not like I own it or anything.... but Jamie does - sans label

I was hoping Jeff would chime in a little more on the subject.... I'm trying to get Jamie some more info. Jeff - come back!

glass man

Reaction score
THANK YOU SO MUCH KATE!! ALSO ALL! IT IS SUPER MINT /WITH A NICE PONTILE AND I GOT $150 ON IT...HOPE IT SELLS AND HOPE IT DON'T!!![:D] I WILL JUST LET THE BUYER MAKE UP THIER OWN MIND AS TO WHAT IT IS...I LOVE THE 5 CATHEDRAL WINDOWS!!JAMIE

beendiggin

Reaction score
Doesn't look like an ink with that mouth....It looks like a small food....horseradish, relish etc.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Re: RE: Pomade help!!!

Hello Jamie Do you still have this bottle? I would sure like to study it - biy it or what ever it takes; I am reviewing a bunch of old bottles - for the observation of how they were applied and tooled. I have always been impressed with sloppy glass under those early marks. RED Matthews

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter