Porcelin Sign + Maine Plate

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
Decided to go back to a dump I found this winter while looking for shed deer antlers. I thought the day was going to be a milk bottle or two, however I came out with much more then I bargined for. I found a Maine license plate from 1914, and a Surety on Bonds sign from New York. Can anyone tell me what I may be looking at for value here? Oh and By the way, yes I DID look hard for the match to the plate.. I looked around eBay and the lower the plate numbers the more they are worth, found a set of maine plates from the same year 3180 I think it was for $425, I figure it I found the match my plates could be worth double??? I may have to go back and look again! I also came up with a telegraph insulator and a Burnett's Standard Flavoring Extract bottle. So would you guys consider this an excellent day or no? I think I've done quite well for a Monday! :)

img3059nn.jpg

img3060w.jpg

img3061e.jpg

BillinMo

Reaction score
You've definitely done well!! Might want to try to find a license plate collector for value on that.

Looks like your insulator is a New England Tel & Tel pony. These were typically used on telephone lines all through the New England area and most varieties are a couple dollars at best -- although there are a few (like a base embossed version, or others with minor detail differences that are tough to describe) that sell for significantly more.

BillinMo

Reaction score
Dug through several sign books and don't see American Surety, but of course no book is going to have everything. Typical prices for a one-sided, two-color flat sign are around 300-400 for good condition.

beendiggin

Reaction score
Welcome to another Mainer. Nice finds . I've never dug a plate that nice before. was it buried in a dump? I'm from mid coast area. Where are you from?

RCO

Reaction score
nice signs can be worth some $ , i'm sure that one is going to be worth something . i'd suspect the maine plate is at least $50 - $100 as its in good condition . the sign who knows , all depends on how badly someone wants it

Reaction score
Yeah I pretty much need to know about these items, someone at work has offered $150 for the bonds sign, I think I can get more, if you are interested please PM me! And As for the plate I was hoping for $250 or 200 from them. Please submit a reply this will help me determine selling asap!

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: shedhunterinme24

And As for the plate I was hoping for $250 or 200 from them.
If you look at Ebays completed auctions your single plate in this condition sells for $35-90, you'll never get $200+ IMO....Good Luck though....Jim

Those sold....
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=1914%20maine%20plate%20-plates&LH_Complete=1&_sop=3

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: shedhunterinme24

Yeah I pretty much need to know about these items, someone at work has offered $150 for the bonds sign, I think I can get more

Your sign in extremely good condition just sold on Ebay for $110, you should take the $150....IMHO

Recently ended examples...

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=american+surety+sign&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenGlassNDrivewayRocks