preserved newspaper fragments

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

digger dun

Reaction score
Eastern Long Island, metro NYC, Hudson valley NY
found this 1906 poughkeepsie newspaper a few months ago about 5 feet down under clay, and ashy trash. it's dried and stable now, but i want to peel a few more pages apart, i think i'm gonna soak it in water for a little bit, and see if i can catch up on current events. whatta y'all think?

DAC81ACC908F4AADAEBBB68F4A8B1415.jpg

Attachments

• DAC81ACC908F4AADAEBBB68F4A8B1415.jpg
    DAC81ACC908F4AADAEBBB68F4A8B1415.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 75

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
Pretty cool there. I had found some December 1923 newspapers years ago, between dinner plates. Nicely preserved circles....

ironmountain

Reaction score
Nice one!

I love finding this kind of stuff. When we bought our house 3yrs ago, there was a cabinet in the basement that the original owners had a cabinet maker build. Sadly it was pretty jacked up when we bought the house and I ended up tearing it down and storing the parts in the garage on the wood rack. As we pulled the base away from it, there were newspapers from 1930's packed inside of it. Cool to see the old advertisements and the way the reports structured their articles.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Thats always good reading. Like to find that stuff at rummage sales. Once while hunting I rested in an old barn had papers laying about. The first I picked up had the moon landing on the front page. Though not that old, I thought it was interesting. More older papers were underneath.

Unfortunately the barn caught fire before I could return to gather the papers. everything was lost in the fire. they never did give a cause for the fire. Interesting to see what things cost back in the old days.

epackage

Reaction score
I have a bunch of papers from Paterson dating back to 1860, I also have full years bound for 1886 thru 1890. It is amazing to go thru them...

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Toby,

I'd start looking up your favorite papier-mâché recipe in advance...

T'would make a creative repapering project for any slicks found on your dig. [8D]

paste1.jpg

DruggistBottles

Reaction score
Years ago I was crawling under an 1870’s house looking for bottles. I found an odd hole that had been dug out. Apparently kids had dug it and played while the floor above was being replaced? That or it was just a secret clubhouse. It had some toys still in it and the 1st edition of the Wonder Woman comic. Everything was bone dry. But sadly some critter had eaten a portion of the comic. Otherwise it was in incredible shape for its age (early 1940s). The best thing I found was elsewhere under the house. An 1870’s small crowbar that must have been dropped while they were building the place. Unfortunately, there were no bottles.
I use to collect old newspapers back when they were cheap on eBay. The coolest one I is from the 1820s for a town nearby. I have always like looking at the old bottle related ads in papers from the 1800s.

WonGan

Reaction score
This brings back a memory.At the farmhouse where I grew up,my father and brother tore out the old cupboards and found old newspapers on the wall.They were glued there so as far as I know,they are still there behind the new cupboards.I cant remember the year but I liked the price advertisements,like beef .7 cents a pound!

The only thing I have ever found was 4-leaf clovers.Whats a five leaf one do?

appliedlips

Reaction score
Dug a pit in Newport Ky. that a two foot layer of newpapers in it capping off a big layer of green poo, with clay on top of that. They dated to the 1890's and were able to be peeled apart and read,crazy!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnymanty