Great Big Hole

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
About as "clean" as they get around here.

5627010288_161829f34c_b.jpg

5627013350_d8140475ba_z.jpg
5637045486_e6dc85fb86.jpg

Through time and tide, and rough surroundings, it has taken on a lovely satin finnish. It does have a certain glow.

5627017642_15db0c6d60_b.jpg

5627004446_fc7a5d3a3c_z.jpg
I've overlaid my old placeholder shard, and am wondering if it was from a different size or merely a different mould?

"Dyspepsia's pangs, that rack and grind
The body, and depress the mind;
Slow constitutional decay,
That brings death nearer, day by day;
Nervous prostration, mental gloom,
Agues, that, as they go and come,
Make life a constant martyrdom;
Colics and dysenteric pains,
'Neath which the strong man's vigor wanes;
Bilious complaints, -- those tedious ills,
Ne'er conquered yet by drastic pills;
Dread Diarrhea, that cannot be
Cured by destructive Mercury;
Heralds of madness or the tomb;
For these, though Mineral nostrums fail,
Means of relief at last we hail,
HOSTETTER'S BITTERS medicine sure,
Not to prevent, alone, but cure.

-- Hostetter's United States Almanac, 1867

Hostetter's "Celebrated" Bitters was a nostrum developed by Dr. Jacob Hostetter of Lancaster, Pennsylvania. His son, David Hostetter, put the formula into large scale production in 1853 and it soon became a national best-seller. During the Civil War, Dr. J. Hostetter's Stomach Bitters was sold to soldiers as "a positive protective against the fatal maladies of the Southern swamps, and the poisonous tendency of the impure rivers and bayous." The original formula was about 47% alcohol -- 94 Proof! The amount of alcohol was so high that it was served in Alaskan saloons by the glass. Hostetter sweetened the alcohol with sugar to which he added a few aromatic oils (anise, coriander, etc.) and vegetable bitters (cinchona, gentian, etc.) to give it a medicinal flavor. From 1954 to 1958, when it was no longer marketed, the product was known as Hostetter Tonic." From.

5637038408_3abded9a9e_z.jpg

Lastly a Hutch base marked "Putnam" with a rare double shoulder pontil. Iron & OP! [8D]

5627002042_213a89b5dc_z.jpg
5626416693_b4255d5a2f_z.jpg

tumblr_lbdji1uctl1qepmiwo1_400.jpg

rockbot

Reaction score
The Dr is different. The shard is underlined and your bottle has two dots under the r in Dr

surfaceone

Reaction score
The Dr is different. The shard is underlined and your bottle has two dots under the r in Dr

Hey Tony,

Is it Morse Code from the dirt? [8D]

morse-codes.gif

So where does one purchase a pair of Wellingtons now daze? I went to Target, they had some galoshes. I went to Famous Footwear, they never heard of them. Walmart had only children's sizes, and the "helpful" sales person told me that the "season" was almost over so they probably wouldn't be getting any more in. The gentlemen in the upscale department store directed me to Famous Footwear. Not one of these folk knew the name "Wellington" boots, and they all looked at me like I was asking for Kryptonite Loafers. Wellingtons, dammit! I want some new Wellies...

Wellies.jpg

grugirl

Reaction score
Awesome post. I find it crazy how persistent you are. I have the bug bad. It has bitten me. I walk or drive somewhere and now instead of looking for wood pieces, I see a glimmer of color and I go crazy hoping to find a bottle.

rockbot

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: surfaceone

Hey Tony,

morse-codes.gif

So where does one purchase a pair of Wellingtons now daze? I went to Target, they had some galoshes. I went to Famous Footwear, they never heard of them. Walmart had only children's sizes, and the "helpful" sales person told me that the "season" was almost over so they probably wouldn't be getting any more in. The gentlemen in the upscale department store directed me to Famous Footwear. Not one of these folk knew the name "Wellington" boots, and they all looked at me like I was asking for Kryptonite Loafers. Wellingtons, dammit! I want some new Wellies...

Wellies.jpg

Surf, check out any local animal feed store or the like.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Surf, check out any local animal feed store or the like.

Hey Tony,

Today I went to a contractor supply place. They had Chinese La Crosse brand, but not in my size. They sent me to a marine store, but they didn't have em. I went to another shoe place, no dice. They sent me to the nearby Wall of China Mart, and "Bingo." I am the not so proud owner of a pair of Chinese Wellies. The Duke would want no part of them.

After the hunt, and frustration-a-go-go, I was happy to shell out the 21 bones. At least I have a watertight pair that should last at least a season.

I'm mentally thinking of them as "Chinies." This is not to be taken as anti-Chinese sentiment. I remember when La Crosse boots were made in Wisconsin. I love to buy American, and hate to contribute to the imbalance of trade for the greater glory of that family from Bentonville.

DukeWellingtonJamesLonsdale.jpg

mr.fred

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: surfaceone

Hey Tony,

morse-codes.gif

Wellies.jpg
Try Wellingtons on line Co.! Just and idea[8|]

surfaceone

Reaction score
So I went back for another slog and slide fest at the big hole. We had one day when rain was not falling outta the sky and it seemed like a good idea. I legged over the plastic fence to check the area that had produced the Hostetters, and just went sprawling backwards (thankfully) within four strides.

But all was not in vain.
5695189466_89aca11ea8_b.jpg
5694619731_67e47d7eb2_b.jpg

In the corners of the hole, the water had caused some channels and rills to be cut into the soil, near the bottom, I saw a panel of aqua glass, had'ta be a slick. I carefully climbed up and snatched it up. Thought it was an ammonia. Made a couple swipes with my glove and almost missed the embossing. Still couldn't read it until I got home.

5694625579_88c939f0a9_b.jpg
5695202522_b52380c37d_z.jpg
S.A. Chevalier's Life for the Hair

"Restores gray hair to its original color, stops its falling out in three days, keeps the head clean, cool and healthy, will not stain the skin, or soil the whitest fabric. The best half-dressing in the world. Can be used freely; contains nothing injurious; strengthens and promotes the growth of the weakest hair; is recommended and used by the first medical authority in New-York. All are freely invited to examine this wonderful triumph of science. Sold at the drug-stores and at my office, No. 1,123 Broadway, where advice as to the treatment of the hair will be freely given. Price $1 per bottle; $5 per half dozen.

SARAH A. CHEVALIER, M.D." From New York Times, March 13, 1865.

CHEVALIER1.jpg
"Sarah A. Chevalier was first listed in 1860 as Physician with her home address at 974 Broadway in New York City. She continued to be listed the same until 1876, except for a few listings in the early 70s when she was just listed as the widow of Joseph. According to Fike, the product was still for sale as late as 1916... The 1870 Detroit Review of Medicine and Pharmacy examined this preparation and found it to contain 1.02 grains of lead per fluid ounce." From Hair Raising Stories.

A pioneering female M.D. and Medicine Lady, not bad.

The pieces, parts were killer:
5694633383_c43e770656_b.jpg

That's a broken oarlock in the center.
5695177868_f641be0546_z.jpg

Would love to have found whatever that big chunk of cobalt was from in a more intact kinda way.

lightnin-hopkins.jpg

Latest posts

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26