Price's Patent Candle Co.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bluegrass

Reaction score
I recently dug a sapphire 1870 variant with the contents still in it, and can guarantee that this stuff was meant to be burnt. The wax in the bottle was mixed with paraffin which kept it liquid, I suppose and highly flammable. It was a nightmare to clean. I'll wager that many a victorian home was burned to the ground as a result of accidents with this stuff!. The sapphire variant sells for about $125 and the deep cobalt $150-200. I once dug a pontiled one broken--in LIME GREEN!!! Imagine the price tag on that one! You can see the sapphire one on my site www.privypages.com

John

bearswede

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, John...

The one I bid on and missed by a couple of bucks went for $143 and change...

Ron

PS... What have you got against archeologists? (I was one in a former life... May still be one...)

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I'm still curious of what Matt may have to say. I figure I'm wrong and would like to know. Why do people put this under Medicinal?

GuntherHess

Reaction score
My book isnt strickly medicines. It also contains a few bottles that are normally listed as medicines. For example GENUINE ESSENCE bottles could certainly be listed as food or household but are almost always listed under medicines. I try to include early pontil "medicine like" bottles even if they arent strickly medicines because the people who collect medicines are often interested in these bottles too. Its often not obvious what bottles contained without a lot of research. So far no one has complained. I may weed out some non-medines as the number of listing grow.

Bluegrass

Reaction score
I'm sure that it's put under medicines simply because it's a British bottle that hasn't been thoroughly researched-- kind of like T&M (BEAR'S OIL bottles) getting listed as inks.

John

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Nothing really against archeologists...lol-- just the ones who are forever looking disdainfully down their pointy noses at privy diggers.

John

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I'm not complaining, I love the book!!! If a few odds and ends get in the mix, GREEAAAT!! as Tony would say. Sorry if it seamed like a dig, no, wrong word for here, definitely. How 'bout dis?
All appologies as needed to all.
Eric

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator