PRIVY DIG HEALTH HAZARD

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

madman

Reaction score
DONT FIGHT IT IVE BEEN SICK FROM ASH DUST BEFORE, ITS NOT FUN, JUST WHERE A FREAKIN MASK!

pjritter

Reaction score
well look at me....before digging i had a bright future...now all i wanna do is dig. maybe the dirt has a psychological effecting bacteria that makes us want more dirt.

probably put there by the Russians. (or Hessians if its an 18th century pit)

rockbot

Reaction score
Very interesting. I would think that the arsenic found in coal ash, ( which has a lot ) would be my biggest concern.[&:]

appliedlips

Reaction score
Chris, I cannot be sure if it were from the first few feet or below, but in dry dusty conditions and in a hole head deep you would be breathing alot more just working in the yard. These were not average,quick to recover cases, they were extreme.I am sure you can relate to black boogers and hacking up dirt. I have hardly ever used a mask when digging and have hacked alot of dirt and ash. It is not something resulting from the use layer in my opinion.

ORIGINAL: baltbottles

The real question is was the fungus contracted from the first couple feet of the privies or from the use layer? If it was from the first couple feet then I would say that privy digging is no more dangerous then just planting a garden or digging a small hole in your yard. If it could be proven that it was contracted from the use layer then I would say its something to be weary of.

Chris

baltbottles

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: appliedlips

Chris, I cannot be sure if it were from the first few feet or below, but in dry dusty conditions and in a hole head deep you would be breathing alot more just working in the yard. These were not average,quick to recover cases, they were extreme.I am sure you can relate to black boogers and hacking up dirt. I have hardly ever used a mask when digging and have hacked alot of dirt and ash. It is not something resulting from the use layer in my opinion.

ORIGINAL: baltbottles

The real question is was the fungus contracted from the first couple feet of the privies or from the use layer? If it was from the first couple feet then I would say that privy digging is no more dangerous then just planting a garden or digging a small hole in your yard. If it could be proven that it was contracted from the use layer then I would say its something to be weary of.

Chris

Doug,

Thats what I figured. I just wanted to get the point across that this is not from old viruses or bacteria that are laying dormant in the privy use layer. Its more likely caused just from lots of digging in general. Its probably likely that you could contract this from a large dry ash dump as well as a privy. I would think any conditions where this fungus can survive in the ground would be an issue. I think weather you are digging a dry ash filed privy or dump or cleaning out a pigeon coup or just digging in your yard you would have a chance at contracting this fungus.

Chris

bne74honda

Reaction score
I have to agree with Gromit here, let's make this a sticky.

As for wearing a mask, I've often wondered if I should - now I WILL! Just 'cause I don't know what might be there doesn't mean it's not. Safety First.

Brian
ORIGINAL: Gromit0299

Wonder if this should be made into a sticky?

RedGinger

Reaction score
Who has done research stating that things like TB do not lay dormant in the soil? Tetanus lives in soil among other things. Cut yourself while digging and it seems very risky. As I said, if you get a bad cut or burn when not digging, the first thing they ask you at the ER is when your last Tetanus shot was.

When digging, we sometimes encounter bottles that are still full. One time, Tom poured out one of the bottles and it stunk to high heaven. I think bottles with their contents are kind of neat. I'm wondering what the effect all of the crude oil in the privies here is.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
There was a House episode where a couple of divers were exploring an 1800's shipwreck, and came across an old jar, still sealed. They didn't know what was in it, then brought it onto their boat. They dropped it, it broke, and a flap of skin with sores on it landed on the person. Turns out the ship was an old slave ship, and there was a case of smallpox on board. The doctor took skin from someone with the disease to make a vaccine from, then the ship sank. The person got smallpox, and the doctors had a hard time treating it. This reminds me of that for some reason... [:D]

Indianabottledigger

Reaction score
Hey doug I know u dig often so this might not be a bad investment for you and anyone else that digs alot of privies. It's battery powered so no need for an outlet.

http://www.criticaltool.com/dc-com-pax-ial-blower-with-25-foot-ducting-canister-assembly?utm_source=become&utm_medium=cse

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn