PRIVY DIG HEALTH HAZARD

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
There was a House episode where a couple of divers were exploring an 1800's shipwreck, and came across an old jar, still sealed. They didn't know what was in it, then brought it onto their boat. They dropped it, it broke, and a flap of skin with sores on it landed on the person. Turns out the ship was an old slave ship, and there was a case of smallpox on board. The doctor took skin from someone with the disease to make a vaccine from, then the ship sank. The person got smallpox, and the doctors had a hard time treating it.

never seen this show. I assume it is a comedy show?

RedGinger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

There was a House episode where a couple of divers were exploring an 1800's shipwreck, and came across an old jar, still sealed. They didn't know what was in it, then brought it onto their boat. They dropped it, it broke, and a flap of skin with sores on it landed on the person. Turns out the ship was an old slave ship, and there was a case of smallpox on board. The doctor took skin from someone with the disease to make a vaccine from, then the ship sank. The person got smallpox, and the doctors had a hard time treating it.

never seen this show. I assume it is a comedy show?

That's a good show. I really like Dr. House.[sm=kiss.gif] I saw that episode too, Wheelah. It was really interesting how they traced it back to that cat (I think it was?)

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Na I wont use a mask there are to many "warnings" on things these days,not going to worry about it digging privy's. I will go by what my doc told me, "the viruses that were once active are long gone" that's what I believe. I'll take my chances.

appliedlips

Reaction score
I am line with that reasoning too Rick, and don't think it is a result of viruses that were in the privy during use. Histoplasmosis is just one common in soil in Certain areas of the country. In one of the cases, after looking at the sanborns the privy was in a spot which later had an outbuilding that looking like a Chicken coup. Could have contributed. I probably will be lax in heavy clay, damp areas but not in dry dusty conditions.

appliedlips

Reaction score
Tique, havent been digging near as much as I would like but getting out off and on. We are heading out tommorrow, I am excited.I can smell pontils!

ORIGINAL: tigue710

thats scary, Ive always wondered if there really was any risk... I would have thought it was the wet privy's that would be questionable.  I know there are also a few diseases you can catch just from digging in rich soil, but soap and water deter that kind of stuff...

Have you Been digging Doug?

pjritter

Reaction score
All of super special digging powers are a result of cuts and transmission via blood system while digging in pontil age use layer.

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
I am resurrecting this thread to make an additional point about possible pulmonary ( lung ) hazards in privy digging. I've been watching the folks on Y/T do their digs; when the angle of the sun is just right, one can clearly see the amount of dust & particulate in the air. Of course, the soil must be quite dry to create airborne dust. In my viewing thus far, I have not witnessed anyone wearing any type of mask.

One problem not mentioned in the thread is C.O.P.D. ( chronic obstructive pulmonary disease ). This disease is quite evident in the population; causes include smoking, exposure to dust, pollutants & industrial particulates, to name a few.
It is "chronic" in that on average, it tends to develop slowly, over many years. COPD is an umbrella term, and includes conditions such as chronic bronchitis and emphysema. When you see folks ( often elderly ) towing around a bottle of O2
and wearing a nasal cannula ( low-flow O2 delivery ), chances are they are a COPD patient.

I was wondering how many diggers participating in this forum are using masks in their digs, and if you are, what type of mask are you using?

Reactions: Roy

Roy

Reaction score
I am resurrecting this thread to make an additional point about possible pulmonary ( lung ) hazards in privy digging. I've been watching the folks on Y/T do their digs; when the angle of the sun is just right, one can clearly see the amount of dust & particulate in the air. Of course, the soil must be quite dry to create airborne dust. In my viewing thus far, I have not witnessed anyone wearing any type of mask.

One problem not mentioned in the thread is C.O.P.D. ( chronic obstructive pulmonary disease ). This disease is quite evident in the population; causes include smoking, exposure to dust, pollutants & industrial particulates, to name a few.
It is "chronic" in that on average, it tends to develop slowly, over many years. COPD is an umbrella term, and includes conditions such as chronic bronchitis and emphysema. When you see folks ( often elderly ) towing around a bottle of O2
and wearing a nasal cannula ( low-flow O2 delivery ), chances are they are a COPD patient.

I was wondering how many diggers participating in this forum are using masks in their digs, and if you are, what type of mask are you using?
Thank you, I know there have been times I should have been wearing a mask, and definitely safety glasses, or goggles as I usually go alone.
Roy

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
Thank you, I know there have been times I should have been wearing a mask, and definitely safety glasses, or goggles as I usually go alone.
Roy
I have a friend who is a drywall installer / finisher; he's now struggling with COPD, the result of inhaling drywall compound dust over a 30-year period. I understand masks are a pain to wear, but the potential consequences of not wearing them, when needed, could be severe.

To be safe, a "Pulmonary Functions Test" might be a good idea.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn