privy keepsfilling with water

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jim

Reaction score
I tried the sump pump thing once...only once, those things are totally useless in a pit. Dig-n-bail is a pain, but it works. It's amazing how quickly a soupy mess can turn to nice, stable ground that you can stand on once you get a small hole below it and bail it out. Like wringing out a sponge [;)]

One of my best bottles came from a 1940-era junk dump- an 1880s local pony soda. We had cool local bottles here well into the 1910s and even 20s for sodas and beers. Even the 40s can produce milks, which I don't buy or collect, but will happily sell or trade to get bottles I want. So yeah, I'll pretty much dig anything to see what's there. ~Jim

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-HP-Submersible-Effluent-Trash-Pump-Cast-Iron-4HU71-FREE-SHIP-CJ1-/180852464416

You need a trash pump for privies, not just a sump pump. Mine handles half inch solids. It will suck hundreds of gallons in just a couple minutes. It will suck up stones, glass, dirt.....pretty much anything. Wrap a 1/2"screen around the base and toss it in. I have around 300 foot of 3"hose. Totally invaluable as far as I'm concerned. Its cast iron and weighs about 60 lbs requires no priming the list of benefits goes on and on.

I will get a video up of this thing in action when I can. It's a very impressive tool. But they are not cheap. Buy a cheap one and you will hate them and swear they are useless. We use this one to pump out field tile catch basins which are full of mud and rocks. We mix up the mud and rocks into a slurry while it's pumping and let it do the rest.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
That sounds good and all but that trash pump would be over kill on 99.9% of the privys filled with water I have ever dug.
Bailing with a small plastic container is cheep,easy and efficient. This method has worked since the beginning of privy digging for bottles. It is still working.

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
you must come to bay city! anything over 3 1/2 to 4 foot deep you need to pump or bail. i live in the saginaw valley meaning we have a very high water table. this privy filled up with water to about 3 ft. from the top because on top of it all we have 8 1/2 inches of rain in 2 or 3 days.

Rick- i suppose as a veteran you can say what you will but who the hell wants to throw around a 60 pound pump if it was not necessary?
i promise you we need the thing around here. to me, bailing is primitive and time consuming with the amount of technology available to us. if their was only a few inches of water it would be a different story but this isnt a few inches of water this is a few feet.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: mtfdfire22

you must come to bay city! anything over 3 1/2 to 4 foot deep you need to pump or bail. i live in the saginaw valley meaning we have a very high water table. this privy filled up with water to about 3 ft. from the top because on top of it all we have 8 1/2 inches of rain in 2 or 3 days.

Rick- i suppose as a veteran you can say what you will but who the hell wants to throw around a 60 pound pump if it was not necessary?
i promise you we need the thing around here. to me, bailing is primitive and time consuming with the amount of technology available to us. if their was only a few inches of water it would be a different story but this isnt a few inches of water this is a few feet.

Only a few feet? I use the straw on that. [8D]

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
haha! thats a big ole straw my friend. i would do that but id rather not suck up a marble and chip my tooth.

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
I still say it's easier to dive in it than pump it out!![:D][:D][:D]
You may be upside down, but your face will be right into the digging!

8BA1E67C14124AF288D976154BB3FEF8.jpg

Attachments

• 8BA1E67C14124AF288D976154BB3FEF8.jpg
    8BA1E67C14124AF288D976154BB3FEF8.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 64

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter